Good carp bait???

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    whats one of the best carp baits.. im going behind a dam where i caught my last and first carp.. soo whats probly the best bait for carp??? and what size hooks??

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like small #4 or #6 hooks and I use canned corn with a few drops of vanilla extract or TRIX cereal soaked in strawberry soda.

3. DukeCat

DukeCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Definatly corn or dough balls. You can just take white bread and mush it up into a tight ball and put it on the hook. It comes off though so corn is easier to use.

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a killer carp bait i used as a kid. i fished below a dam alot and i could'nt use 2 poles... mix up a couple, or a few boxes of strawberry jello. with a little extra sugar. while it's hot and in liquid form. start adding yellow corn meal. when it's consistant enough, roll out a bunch of little balls. or even go ahead and bait a bunch of treble hooks. put it in the freezer and let the jello set up. when it sets up it'll stay on the hook. even when it warms up. if you can take a cooler with ice it'll last even longer. try it. you'll love the action......

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Thats almost exactly what i use too, but instead of corm meal, i always used cream of wheat. I will try to corn meal though.

6. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I've tried this same recipe and it works. I don't add too much water when mixing the jello. It makes for some doughballs that cast good without coming off.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    whole kernel canned corn is hard to beat Kevin, it also helps to thrw out a handfull to chum the area while you are fishing. I used to make a doughbait from 1cup flour, 1 cup cornmeal, 1tbl garlic powder, 1tbs of maple syrip and enough water to make it look like pudding then cook till it forms a large ball it works real good.

8. KB8EXF

KB8EXF New Member

State:
    wv
    Shredded wheat always worked great for me.nothing added just plain,stays on the hook good also..

9. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    I have to agree a can of corn has never done me wrong. We used corn and a size 5 circle hook on the Guadalupe River. If we ran into a school of them we could bring in over 100lbs of carp in one night. Throw alittle out to bring them in. They are like vacumn cleaners they will suck up anything on the bottom.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    so i should let it just sink to the bottom?? well i get to try my luck tomorrow!!!!

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, if cornmeal and cream of wheat would work, would "grits" not work also????Dwight

12. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like Wheaties, flour, cornmeal, and white corn syrup.

13. crappieguy

crappieguy New Member

State:
    Manitoba , Canada
    We usually chum the area for @ least 3 days with fermented kernel corn then go in fishing for them at the same time of day that we've been chumming every day.
    Then bait up we sweet kernel corn or some of that fermented corn.
    Works like a damn:wink:

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Chum with sweet corn a day or so before. Then use sweet corn on the hook with light as test you can. Hang on,you're ready for a fight!!! :smile2:

I've also had good luck with crawlers and plain ol' bread balls.

Best of Luck to you!!!
    Keep us posted!!!!!

15. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    years ago i would take ATOMIC carp bait and mix wheaties and strawberry pop and it always caught fish I havent seen ATOMIC for years i heard the guy that owned it died and didnt leave the reciepe

16. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    cover a good size treble hook in bread and just let it float

17. yellerbelly69

yellerbelly69 New Member

State:
    indiana
    have any of you guys ever heard of pack bait? we buy this mix that consists of bird seed mashed grain and corn, and add your favorite extract(i use tuti fruity) then you add cream corn and stawberry koolaid mix. to rig it we use rigs made buy wacker bait company, it looks like a spring that is shaped like a bird egg, what you do is take your grain bait once you get the right consistency and pack it around the spring, make a ball around the spring a little bit bigger than a golf ball. then about 8 inches down from the spring you have your hook with a piece of thread about 1.5 inches long. then you take your corn threader and thread about 4 kernels of corn onto the "thread" not the hook leave the hook bare. when the pack bait hits the bottom it starts to break up, and basically chums your area, and when the carp come in they start to suck all of that up and they accidently suck your hook up and when they spit it out they hook there selves. i know this sounds confusing but it is very very effective. ill try to get picks posted to make it easy to do.

18. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    All I use is packbait, I pack it right around my sinker, (lead), then i put two grains of flavored corn on my hair rig and away we go, caught 10 last friday and 11 on tuesday. I used a total of 5 grains of corn, (maize) for the whole day.