Good camping/fishing spot

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Cat Man Joe, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I took the wife and kids camping and fishing this weekend and a blast. I guess it could have been better, we could have caught something other that yellow bellies. Do any of you know of a good place to pitch a tent, close to the water and actually have a shot of landing some cats? I could just check em out 1 at a time but I figured it may be easier to ask you guys. Save me some time and money. Thanks for your help guys!!

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Again not sure where your at or how much of a trip you like but Coffeen and Ramsey lake are small lakes with great fish and super camping.

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    What part of the state are you from Joe?

Do a Google search for Shabbona State Park in Shabbona, IL.

There are some Huge fish in this lake with a campground on the lake to boot. This was the first of it's kind (and in my opinion the BEST) Illinois lake that was designed intentionally to be a GREAT fishing habitat. At one time, 4 of the State record sized fish were caught from this lake.

There is LOTS AND LOTS of great shoreline fishing spots with man made cribs sitting not far from the shore. (Stop at the bait shop at the lake and they will tell you where best to fish and what baits they are hitting on.)

They allow boats with motors up to 10HP, only bad thing is boats have to be off the water by 9:30pm. Note:Those hours change at the end of this month.

I've not camped here, but the campground looks VERY nice. I fish here all the time and love that it's not ever overcrowded (except on Holidays.)

I've been told that there are +15lbs Channel Cats in there. Personally I've caught and released many +7lb cats and even a few that were over 10lbs.

Tony
    _

4. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it. Tony, I'm in central Illinois, in Modesto, not far from Carlinville, about an hour south of Springfield. I guess I should have mentioned that Im looking for tent spots, I dont have a camper. Ill check out the spots both of you mentioned. Thanks again guys!