Good Bye Dear Friend

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by safetybass, Mar 24, 2007.

1. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Through tears and great sorrow I come to this family today to tell you about the loss of my partner, the dog in my avatar. We had her put to sleep today. It was undeniably the most difficult and heart wrenching thing I have ever done. When I post this and see her on that avatar, I will be reminded, and in pain again. That will ease with time. What will never end is the love and companionship she shared with me, a true gift of which I was probably undeserving. All I can do now is honor her, and I can't think of a better way tham sharing the below courtroom speech in the 1870 legal case about a dog.
    After you read this, you will need more handkerchiefs. Everybody give your dog some love today, please.

In Memory of "Tippie"

"Gentlemen of the Jury: "The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy. His son or daughter that he has reared with loving care may prove ungrateful. Those who are nearest and dearest to us, those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name, may become traitors to their faith. The money that a man has, he may lose. It flies away from him, perhaps when he needs it the most. A man’s reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill-considered action. The people who are prone to fall on their knees to do us honor when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles its cloud upon our heads. The one absolutely unselfish friend that a man can have in this selfish world, the one that never deserts him and the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog."

"Gentleman of the Jury, a man’s dog stands by him in prosperity and in poverty, in health and in sickness. He will sleep on the cold ground, where the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely, if only he may be near his master’s side. He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer, he will lick the wounds and sores that encounters the roughness of the world. He guards the sleep of his pauper master as if he were a prince. When all other friends desert, he remains. When riches take wings and reputation falls to pieces, he is as constant in his love as the sun in its journey through the heavens."

"If fortune drives the master forth an outcast in the world, friendless and homeless, the faithful dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard against danger, to fight against his enemies. When the last scene of all comes, and death takes the master in its embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground, no matter if all other friends pursue their way, there by his graveside will the noble dog be found, his head between his paws, his eyes sad but open in alert watchfulness, faithful and true even to death.""

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Trust me Brother when I say I share your profund Grief! Others think I'm absolutely nuts,but they just don't understand how I feel about my dogs! They are the best friends I will ever have! Was she seriously ill,that you were forced to have her put down? Whatever the reason, I'm crying right beside you and I'm not one bit ashambed to admit it! Please her avatar up,don't change it so that I may place a gentle kiss upon her!:sad2: :cry: :cry: I am soooooooooo sorry!

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Larry,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your faithful partner. My family's had alot of different pets in a lifetime, but it never gets any easier to lose such a loyal companion as that dog who's been with you through thick and thin. Thank you for sharing your grief with us... along with the story of Tippie.
    Take care.

Carolyn

4. SassyManxLady

SassyManxLady New Member

State:
    MO
    The Rainbow Bridge

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
    Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
    Where the friends of man and woman do run,
    When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
    Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
    On this golden land, they wait and they play,
    Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
    For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
    Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
    Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
    Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
    All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
    Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
    Together again, both person and pet.
    So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
    The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
    Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
    They embrace with a love that will last forever,
    And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Larry I understand your loss and I'm truly sorry. I have a Chi-wa-wa that is now 9 years old and I know that I will probably be facing the same. She is a major part of the family and her loss would be devasting. May you find comfort through this.:sad2: :sad2:

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Larry sorry to hear this a none dog person don,t realise that they are like childern to us prays sent for you Brother

7. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Larry,
    Sorry for your loss.
    I too had to put my pet to sleep,,

take care, mike b

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup. Been right there with ya. Nothing feels worse. Sorry to hear that.

9. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    sorry for your loss...i really mean that. a dog is a wonderful gift from above

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Very sorry to hear that Larry, I know how it is, in fact we actually lost one of our dogs last year and ours was named Tippie also.

Take care.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Larry I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Beagle...I know from experience that they become more like family members rather than pets.:sad2:

12. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :sad2: Larry I know just how you feel. I had to put my favorite fishing pal to sllep back in 97 and darn it I still miss her bad. She used to go eveywhere I did so yes I know how you feel.Like Pat said please leave the Avitor up with her in it. That way we will all remember with you. God Bless and I hope the healing process goes quickly for you.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Larry,
    So sorry to hear about Tippie. I know you're hurting right now, but I also know enough about YOU to realize that you did the right thing, no matter how hard it was. So far I have only had to make that sort of decision regarding cats, but I still miss my Pinks and Smiley :sad2:.
    This thread has brought a lot of things into mind for me, because my oldest golden retriever, Blossom, had a stroke two weeks ago. We're fighting the uphill battle, and I've already had to struggle with the thought of making such a choice. She's 13 1/2 years old. I want her to have QUALITY of life, and not just quantity. One good day, one bad day.....but we're not ready to give up yet, me OR her, I don't believe. Time will tell, and I hope it tells a good story. But if not, I will do the right thing for her, as you did with Tippie.
    I am thinking of you and yours, and I will remember you in my prayers. Hang in there buddy, better days are ahead :smile2:.

14. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    our mini dachsund is getting up in years, so we decided to breed him so we could have one like him when he is gone. my sister bought us a female in 2004 and since then, she has had several litters. of mini micks. this has brought us much joy, since we give them away to elderly people, kids, and other folks who normally wouldn't be able to buy one. mick has a back problem, but he is doing good. looks like a few more years left. its going to destroy me when he has to go. i call him old mick (original lake dog mick) he loves the lake and boating. has had me and my wife in stitches laughing, and other peoples kids who go with us love him. we have one of his pups. if you are in the ok area and would like a dachshund pup let me know, they have papers and are free when we have a litter. we now have darcy, who is a texas rescue shelter female, so we have a few pups every year. my sister got darcy at a texas rescue . she was supposed to be spayed. when they wrote my sister and said bring her in for spaying, patti said if you can find her go do it. darcy has a warrant out in texas over this, so she has to live in oklahoma. we could sell them, but the joy of a new owner and there love is better pay. i really understand your pain, don't know how we will handle it mick when he has to go.

15. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I can't say a thing that would ease the pain but yes your friend will remain alive in your heart I do feel your pain as the worst I suffered with a loss other then immediate family was a Golden retreiver named Dixie [believed to have been poisaned[sp] ] I will not forget her

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I feel your pain brother and yes there is much pain in loosing a loved pet ,They make our lives a bit more just ...because.

17. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I feel for you, Been there done that to many times.