Good Buffalo Bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by cat-chaser, Apr 19, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found a farm pond/lake that has some really big buffalo in it-I mean like 30+lbs. I've seen them jumping before & really couldn't identify them at first but yesterday something happened. I was casting a large black & yellow beetle spin for bass or some of the huge crappie that are also in the lake, when something hit so hard it nearly yanked the rod from my hand, I have a burn on my thumb from the line. Anyway, I'm thinking that I'd maybe hooked the biggest bass in the lake or or a big cat or something and this thing makes a boil so big it almost scared me. All of a sudden (as I'm sure has happened to so many of you guys) the hook came free-but the fish immediately jumped. Now let me tell you, I've seen some huge fish in small ponds but this was crazy. I thought I was looking at Flipper.This fish was at least 4 feet long-I'm guesstimating at least 30lbs,at least. Now, I'm obsessed with catching one but i don't know what type of bait to use. I don't know if I snagged it or if it actually hit the lure.What's a good bait for these things?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I heard a guy say one time that he caught them with Wheaties, the cereal. According to him he would get a big handful and get it wet and squeeze it into a ball around a treble hook that had a spring on it (like for punch bait). I've not tried it or seen it but he told it for the truth?

ST

3. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok, Iknow what you're talking about. I've tried it for carp before but I've never caught buffalo that way. I'll try it, I think I remember the recipe-we used to mix it with some type of strawberry soda,usually a generic brand thats really sweet.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    check the library or the section "homemade bait" I put an award winning carp bait in there that uses strawberry/banana Jello and other stuff. I have caught all kinds of carp including buffalo with it. Easy and cheap to make and stays on tight and bleeds well into the water. If you can't find it PM me and I'll send you a copy in MS Word.

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I've never actally tried to catch a buffalo before. I have though but it's always on accident, keep the info on the baits comming because i would like to learn how to catch these things too.

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I caught a big one the other day on nightcrawler and a 6/0 Kahle hook...ya could have blown me away..I would have NEVER thought that would happen...so give those crawlers a try.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you sure this fish wasnt a grass carp or a common carp?

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Mine? It was definately a Buffalo...LOL

9. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    If you have buffaloes you can catch them just like carp. Try throwing a can or 2 of cheap corn (dollar store stuff), in your fishing area a day or 2 before you fish. Then just fish a couple of kernels on a #4 hook, with a simple carolina rig. Keep chumming, and you'll catch them.

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Try Cotton Seed cakes, we used to fish them on trotlines and catch alot of Buffalo.

11. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I have caught buffalo on crawdads, when I use to trotline, probley more drum and buffalo than cats ,
    Try to get the soft shell ones about 2 to 3 inches long.
    Jim

12. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Iv got them with bluegiil side's and head's.They hit just like a big flathead,The bait clicker just start's screeming..That is a cool fish......

13. royy

royy New Member

State:
    ok
    TRY COTTON SEED CAKE, WATER, ROLLED IN BALLS, ADD COCOA, SWEET SYRUP, ADD BLACK PEPPER FOR BUFFALLO

14. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    I catch more Buffalo on lures then any other bait. :biggrin1::biggrin1:

15. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    P82A0163.jpg

4.5in Swimbait on a 1/4oz jig head.

The fish smacked it the moment it hit the water.

16. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    P82A0147.jpg

Some winter buffalo were hammer my 4in twistertails on 1/4oz jigheads. This is one of them.

17. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    By the way, I wasn't catching these buffalo as by catch, I was going for them on purpose with the lures.

18. Beastly Backlash

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    It is amazing how they jump when you hook them. I swear it looks like miny tarpon tail dancing across the surface of the water.

19. Manosteel

Manosteel Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I caught about a 20 pounder last summer on...wait for it...chicken liver! I had a smaller rod out hoping to catch some eater size channels. It was propped against my folding chair while I was rigging another rod when the bite came. I knew it was not a channel cat cause it turned my chair over and almost pulled the rod in the water...nice big buff...was fun.

20. hillman

hillman Active Member

State:
    MO.
    I'm wondering if Buffalo don't like Meat Protein fished right on the bottom where Carp like more Vegetable Grain Bait?

hillman