Good Bite on Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, May 11, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Today I was lucky enough to make two small trips. I headed out this morning to catch some bream for the afternoon trip and ended up getting onto some bullheads. Before it was done I had caught 23 bullheads around a pound or less. The action was hot for about two hours and then I had trouble location where they had moved to.

Another note, the shellcrackers seem to be on their beds. I was trying to catch bream along a sandy bank and could not get a bream for all the shellcrackers. I used one for bait and it was loaded with eggs. Most were small, but I did catch one that was around a
    pound.

I got out on Wylie this afternoon following the arrival of a cold front. We missed the rain, but the winds with the high pressure were there. 15-20mph winds were howling down the lake.

I started out around 3:30pm and fished until around 7:30pm on the lower lake. The bite was not off the meter, but I did manage to catch some nice fish including my personal best channel cat; a 9 ½ pounder on cut bream. There were several fish in the 5 pound range, a six pounder and several four pounders. Considering the wind and the weather change I was more than happy.

The wind made the drift tough and it limited where I could fish effectively. I plan to revisit the same areas when some calmer winds are in the forecast. The total for the day, including the morning bullheads, was 34 catfish.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I may hit Wylie in the next few weeks since it fairly close to home.

3. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ace and I took our better-halves to wylie last Sat. We had 25 good fish, a good blue, 3 flats,the rest channels, total weight,130 lbs. All on cut bait. Had a Good Day........