Good Bank Spots on Sangamon River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by SubnetZero, Aug 23, 2006.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im looking for some good bank spots on the Sangamon River... Anywhere from Riverton on down to Petersburg.....

I've tried Riverside park, caught 1 little flathead and buttload of carp on nitecrawlers. Riverside closes at dark though :sad2:

Im a bit leary about putting my boat in on it, or where there even ramps, so im hoping for some good bank spots..

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    cricket cricket chirp chirp...

No one in IL fishes Sangamon river?

3. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I took my boat out on the sangomon river this year didn't break out a pole that day we ran some trot lines but had no luck we put in in riverton and went upstream we mostly just tooled around that day but I would like to try again sometime I dont know what the water level is like now that was months ago

4. PARATROOPER

PARATROOPER New Member

State:
    Waynesville, IL
    We put in the river down at that campground at riverton.... It was really shallow. Really no good spots to bank fish either. We came home with a cooler of fish though, they seemed to hit on cut shad the best. You can get as many shad as you want out of lake Springfield just throwing a cast net off the docks. There is a big log jam just upstream about a 1/2 mile from the boat ramp in Riverton by the railroad bridge that was around 14 feet deep a couple weeks ago, you can walk to it... Just a thought. Might be a big'n just layin in there this time of year flatheads are not very active at all.

PARATROOPER

5. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Up at New Salem there's a place where you can get down to the river, out by the old saw mill. It looks like they've just recently cleared all the brush away from the road all the way down to the sangamon. It's a bit of a walk to the shore, but it's definitely manageable. I haven't had a chance to fish there yet, and have no idea of the depth, but there are some nice looking lay downs there.

I was actually thinking of running up to Petersburg tomorrow, so I might stop in there and see how my luck is. I'll let you guys know either way.

6. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ive fished the Sang river for years out by Riverton. Use dip bait down in the log jams produced the best.

7. BIGCATMIKE

BIGCATMIKE New Member

State:
    illinois
    good bank fishing on rt29 to athens . good spot to park your truck and large bank area you can walk for about a mile. if you plan on fishing it soon pm me and maybe i'll meet ya down there or we can put the boat out on the river and set some trot line

8. Catmaster81

Catmaster81 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I lived in Decatur last year and fished the Sangamon all over from Monticello to Springfield. You can lauch a boat at the campground in Riverton, and there are actually some decent holes in this stretch, but there are shallow riffles that make navigation very difficult when the water is low. If you're going out with a boat, be careful, and try to read the river as best you can to avoid getting hung up on these riffles. As for bank fishing, I would recommend getting a copy of the Illinois Atlas and Gazeteer. This provides all of the roads that follow the river, and often you can find some good places to park and walk back into, providing that you're not trespassing somewhere. A lot of great fishing opportunities lie just off the beaten path. There are some nice fish in this river, but access can be tough.