Good bank fishing baits?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 16, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    whats a great bank fishing bait.. i dont mind for what kind of catfish, just as long as im catchin fish

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Any and all baits you'd use on a boat. Anything live,cut or stinky!

3. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    well see i really havent been fishing from a boat yet.. lol

4. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    kevin, we normally take at least night crawlers , shrimp , catch gills or shad to use for cut bait and i sometimes take stink bait but not normally.
    some say the hot weather is the best time for stink bait so now would be a good time to use that as well as a variety of differant baits.
    liver ,rooster hearts ,goldfish , people even use hotdogs and about whatever one could imagine a catfish might eat.
    if you at least have 2 differant baits one on one pole and one on another to see which they are preferring that day you should be sucessful.
    unless your in a bad location then a hundred differant baits wont matter:lol:

5. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    sometimes the best thing to use from the bank is things that would fall in the water in the water area that ur fishin. such as crawdads, worms, whatever, the point is that using things that the fish are used to seeing is always a good bet.

6. DukeCat

DukeCat New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm pretty new to catfish fishing but i have tried liver, worms, shrimp, and hotdogs and they have all worked at one time or another.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I'm like everyone else take a variety, both live and dead or prepared. Try getting the bait off the bottm on lakes with a float, but wont work too well in rivers. Location is more critical than bait. Channels will bite on about anything, blues on almost anything but suspend off bottom. Yellows prefer live usually although something that was live and swiiming for cutbait works too. The yellows like structure like like jams and such.

8. GregRobinson

GregRobinson New Member

State:
    Walla Walla Washington
    I usually take some nightcrawlers and some chicken livers along with a couple of jars of dip bait I keep in my truck. So far this year the nightcrawlers have been the most effective for me, but they're biting kind of odd where I'm at. What I've had the most luck with so far this year has been a small crappie jig tipped with piece of nightcrawler maybe 1"-2" either fished under a slip float or just cast out and let it bump off the bottom in the current. It's kind of become my standby if nothing else is working, it usually is good for at least catching something. I caught several nice channels and a 30" blue fishing right along a cut bank with the same rig last year.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The best all time bait for channels is cut shad or gill. Gills should be scaled first, shad have small fine scales and don't require that. Just fillet them then cut into 1 inch sections. You can then put 2 or 3 sections on a hook. Make sure to hook them in a corner or edge not right in the middle. You don't want the bait re-hooking its self and preventing hookups. Thats not to say that stink baits won't work, at times they will outproduce live and cut. Its just that cats are used to feeding on fish and they know it is food. People have caught catfish on everything imagineable like soap, livers, brains, hotdogs, french fries, worms, even stuff sprayed with WD-40 lol. But that doesn't mean that they prefer those things. It just means they were caught. You try some kind of fresh cut bait and you will get results most times. But always remember to try different kinds of baits if that isn't producing that day.

10. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Some people buy that stinky stuff or make their own concoctions, but I get the best results just using nightcrawlers and cut bream. If you're in search of the bigger channel cats, I do best with about a 4" whole dead bream that has cuts on it to release a blood trail.

Good luck!

11. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Kevin
    I find this time of year grasshoppers are very good bait for channels. Look for them very early in the morning when they are still cold and don’t hop much. I like to float them in the river with a #6 hook, split shot, and a small bobber. I keep them in a coffee can with a rubber lid with a slit in it. Luck

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For channel I use chicken liver. I have tried to switch, but chicken liver by far outproduces anything else I try for channel. I usually have my smaller pole with some liver on it and a goldfish or bluegill on my big pole.

13. Redhat

Redhat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Chicken liver w/garlic powder and salt...sun dried of course...has always been the best for me followed by nightcrawlers