Good BaitCasting Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Matth2083, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Matth2083

Matth2083 New Member

State:
    Raleigh
    Hey guys..wondering if anyone has any good recomendations for baitcasting reels for big blues and flats. I use a spinning reel now and it works fine, but im looking for good backup/second rod and reel. Thanks guys.

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    This comes down to how much you are willing to spend. Most of the folks here swear by the Abu Garcia 7000 and the Penn 209. However, I would encourage you to browse through the board and check out the library.

-- Rich, who fishes with 8# test

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6000 or 6500 they are the easiest baitcasters to learn if u never throw one before.

4. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I don't think you're gonna beat the Abu 7000 for castability, durability, ease of maintinance, and longevity if serviced regularly. You can buy cheap, but they won't last as long. You'll end up in the long run spending less, by paying a little more now. I'm still using abu 7000s that were made in the 1970s.

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    What he said! I agree

6. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    penn or abu can't go wrong stay away from anything from walmart meijer kmart even though the name is the same quality is not there is a link somewhere in reel review here is the link they are very quick and reasonablely priced http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com you can get a abu 9000 and 7000 both for 69.99 plus shipping about 76.00 total can't even touch that at wallyworld abu 7000 at cabelas and bass pro about 129.00
    9000 would be overkill but hey if you happen to catch the next record and the reels are the same price might as well go with the one that you know can handle it

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I prefer Penn myself and think that they are easy to cast. I do have one abu and it is good too.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I noticed the Abu Garcia 9000 is advertised as made in Taiwan.I wonder how many of their reels are being made there.Also,how many of their parts are made in Taiwan and assembled elsewhere to keep from saying it is "Made in Taiwan".I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It was refreshing on my part to see a member ask for a "good" instead of the "best". The best requires a lot of conjecture and opinions, sometime leading to downright hostilities. "Good" we can live with all the time. And I would also recommend an Abu or Penn... but I'd use it as the primary and the spinning combination as the backup. LOL

10. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well pee wee i am sorry to say i don't think will see many all made in america again penn isn't even made here anymore years ago my dad used to boyscott stores that where open on holidays and sundays till he ran out of places to go for gas and food if you you remember walmart used to only sell products made in america see how that went wally died and so did his dream of keeping american jobs