Good baitcasting reel for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tazzdman007, Aug 23, 2006.

1. tazzdman007

tazzdman007 New Member

State:
    south carloina
    Hi yall got me a catfish ugly stick last night and was wondering if someone could recomend a good BEGINNER bait cast reel? All I've ever used are spincast and would like to try baitcast but want somthing forgiving to learn on want to fish not untagle line LOL. THANKS:roll_eyes:

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Abu Garcia'a are the easiest to learn on because of there overall design. Very good real also!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And Abu Garcia 6000, or 6500 would be perfect for that rod.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree. Ambassadeurs, by far, are the easiest baitcast reel to cast for me. Sometimes you can run into some good deals on them at Wally World, etc. Good luck!!

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey hey hey. i think you got it wrong. you got your abus and ambassaduers and by far they are the best. but....... what if he dont have that kind of money to spend. id try buying shakespeare and quantum. also zebco sells combos for less than 20 bucks and they are GREAT reels to have and arent a thing to cry about if you lose one to a big one!

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Start with a good one like ABU or Shimano..those cheaper versions are just that....cheaper versions:roll_eyes:

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Tony,
    Not to argue the point but he would be better to get the 6500c3 right off. If he finds he likes using a casting reel he has a good reel that he can keep and will last a long time. If he finds he dosen't like casting reels he will have no trouble selling it. J.M.H.O...W

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wholeheartedly agree with Austin's post. Some things you need to keep in mind... there is no easy baitcasting reel to learn on. They are basically all the same and if you don't apply the correct techniques, your going to have a backlash. Some reels are smoother than others, or may have a better drag, or are better balanced - but that is mostly preference you build with experience. Buy the most expensive reel you can...that way your more apt to stick with the learning process instead of chunking it up and going back to a spincast. You can find cheaper abu garcia reels on e-bay and at your local pawn shops. Price the reels so you know what they are worth and then start looking at reels about 1/2 to 3/4 the price of a new one. When you get disgusted, as you most assuredly will, remember what you learn depends upon the effort you put into it. It is not easy. It is not like driving a car. But once you learn to cast, it is like riding a bicycle.

9. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Educating your thumb is as important as the reel.

10. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    First, you need to get a good reel. There is no need to spend big bucks on one, but a real cheap reel will cause problems. Stick with brand names like Ambassadeur, Bass Pro Shops, Shimano or Diawai. Get a mid range priced reel to start. My favorite is the Ambassadeur 5500 series. They have served me well.
    Spool up your reel with monofilament line in fairly heavy test - 14 to 20 - even if you plan on fishing with lighter line. Heavier line is easier to learn to cast, and easier to pick out those unavoidable backlashes. Don' fill the spool on the reel, start with half a spool or less. The more line on the spool the heavier the spool and the faster and longer it will spin. Spinning too long is what causes backlashes, so start with less line. The most important part of casting a bait caster is a smart thumb. Your thumb rides on the spool of line and controls it, so you must educate your thumb. You can do this while watching TV. Tie on a fairly heavy weight - a nut or 1 ounce sinker, and sit down. Loosen up the spool control until the weight drops freely, and use your thumb to stop it just before it hits the floor. Do this over and over until get the feel for feathering the spool with your thumb and stopping the weight just before it reaches the floor.
    I hope this helps

11. tazzdman007

tazzdman007 New Member

State:
    south carloina
    okay thanks guys i guess i'll get the 6500 seems like the most popular that way if i can't get the hang i can at least get most of my money back
    THANKS