good baitcast reel for 1/2 ton rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kyledbarnes, Jan 1, 2009.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    im thinking about gettin a team catfish rod and i dont know what reel i should get, i don't want to get one thats too expensive, under $50.

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you don't need to make really long casts, you might want to think about a Penn 209. It's a really rugged reel with lots of line capacity; it's just not a really great distance caster.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    You should be able to find an Abu Garcia 6000, new, for that amount or less on eBay, if you watch closely. I picked up two new ones for $38 each last year on there. I occasionally see 6500s go for less than that too.
    Bill in SC

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can get a shakespear tidewater 30L from Wally world that sells for around 40 dollars.

They have a giant spool and large crankin handle for fighting those big fish. They are a tough reel for the money and they have a bait clicker too.

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You can find a shimano TR 200 on ebay for 30-40 bucks on ebay.Super nice reel for the money

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup I have 2 30lc Shakesphere tidewaters they are my first baitcast reels and they have been thru he!!......I still use them and have landed some decent fish on em....they sure aint bad for the money...but now if I buy a reel its gonna be a Penn 320-330 gti or any of the 09's....I'd save some and get a 320 it will last ya a lifetime!