Good bait to use on the Wabash River?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by field989, May 18, 2007.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    ok here lately nothing seems to work... we used. hotdogs,whole gills,cut gills, worms, liver, and stink bait..... NOTHING WAS BITING

what do u guys usually use for bait..... were goin tomorrow night and were gonna go where there is alot of cover trees. stick ups stuff like that.....

any tips for this river would be appreiciated.... btw were goin by berne/geneva....

Thanks

Jeff

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    well field i always use live or cut gills. im sure your river is just in a slump. things will pick up for you i hope. ever tried markle area or maybe the st marys river ?

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    well me and my buddie are newbies to river fishing.... usually we just fish ponds... but this year i wanted to fish in a river.....( it was one of my goals)... but when we were done fishin that night we went back in the woods and found some GREAT spots for fishing.. really good cover and everything.....

but yea i believe ALL cats are in a slump right now... i have barely cought anythign this year...

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q91/field111/22lbflathead.jpg

theres the flat i got last nite..... 22lbs

4. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    sometimes when we are slumpin up here in covington, i bring out some livers or some shrimp. they seem to hit well on those. also try some cheese i take velveeta put it in a micro wave and once its soft add some garlic, liquid smoke, and some horseradish as a dip bait in the summer usually a good combo, make sure to add some milk to it so it wont get to hard after it cools....goood luck

5. flathead20000

flathead20000 New Member

State:
    Indiana, Delphi
    Shad Guts will work! You will definately get something to bite they are hard to resist for a big ol honkin cat!!! Try Em!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana

i would if i could find em

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Flatties do love the live bait. We have been catching most on live bluegill, but live large mouth bass have been good also (stripers are best, but hard to keep alive). A recent tip for flatheads I picked up on is putting a small piece of cut bait on the hook first and then hook the live bait with the remaining portion of the hook (I use 7/0 Laser Sharps). This puts out the smell without having to damage your live bait (except for the fact that your sticking a hook in its back). They should be biting good here, stay on em! Good Luck!

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

bait shops are very different over this way rick. no craws no shad guts around here anyhow. i was over on your river this last weekend bud. caught a few eyes and sauger and a few runt channels. was there for a funeral so i didnt have time to fish with you but next time ill get up with ya bro.