Good Bait for Trout?

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Stormin_Mormin, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Stormin_Mormin

Stormin_Mormin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hopefully doing some trout fishing soon, what kind of bait should i use?

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Chris, If you're fishing a pond or lake for stocked trout I'd use Powerbait. In streams, I like to use worms with split shot rigs and "bounce" them downstream.

3. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I caught them on corns and worms.

4. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Some places are catch and release and require artificial lures only. You could try rooster tails or mepps spinners. The others have offered great suggestions. I caught most of mine this year on powerbait.

Good luck.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dont forget the old stand by salmon eggs the ones made by Patzukes called fireballs are the best I've found

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Out here in California in the lakes..... Rainbow power bait is real good.... use a # 16, 18 trebble hook and the get the bait an roll it round like a worm, and then work it over the line and hook...Inflated night crawlers are successfull too. leader size should be on the 1 to 2 lb and maybe 4 lb for the main line. 1/4 oz split shot...to cast out.... If you are going to throw some lures, go with the rooster tails.. or the cast master...or the Mepps spinner

bayrunner ray

7. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Thanks 223reload for that co. name. I just posted for another youth and couldnt remeber the name, just "balls of Fire". My favorite hardware is a #1 panther Martin with the gold blade, black body with the yellow spots. This single lure accounted for 60 percent of the trout i've caught in my life, even over nightcrawlers, Rapalas, flies, anything. I guess stocked trout eat different than wild trout becausen ive never caught anything on power bait.

If using nightcrawlers, 4 lb test, a # 8 or 10 hook and just enough splitshot, 16 to 18 inches above the hook, to bounce along the bottom with a drag free drag in the current. Hook the worm once under neath the collar and let it dangle and twitch naturally as possible. If all else fails, a green or black wooly bugger might do the trick.

Dru

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if you can get them 1/2 to 1inch crawdads or 1 to2 inch hellgremiteswill catch small to giants.use the smallist float you got and let it float naturaly down stream.

9. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I use a lot of different things, but Rainbow Powerbait is by far my favorite anywhere I fish for stocked trout. Rivers, streams, and lakes.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    power balls tiped with canned corn or marshmellows tiped with corn ( the powerball or marshmellows keeps the corn offthe bottom ) Wax worms are also a very good bait I always had the best luck useing small Rapalas or Rostertails on artificials or you can catch them on a fly rod ask at a local fry shop or bait shop at the lake or river you will be fishing what the locals are useing Good Luck Bro:smile2:

11. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    i have used minnows, meal worms, salmon eggs. berkleys power bait, berkelypower marshmallows, roostertail spinners,whole kernnel corn, in theis order and have had great success with them all.

12. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Power bait, corn, worms, and salmon eggs for bait. Rooster tails, Super Duper and Kastmaster spoons for lures. Those work great! In fact, gonna hit em in the mornin:big_smile:

13. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Best way to catch a trout is to grab yourself a 10-12 foot Valco, a 5 horse Johnson on the back, and troll yourself a little fly on 8 lb. test with 2 lb. leader. Just before dark seems to be the primo time.

14. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

Or to add to this, use a casta bubble float, and fill with water for a little weight, and then use 3/4 lb line for leader, and that fly.....throw it from the bank with 2 or 4 lb as the main line and let the wind drift it around... you are on in no time.....

bayrunner ray

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    While those Powerbaits work great, we aren't allowed to use those in some of our waters that hold the Native browns, palominos, rainbows; though I have had decent luck with maggots on a VERY small hook in a nymphing type rig and a class 3 sink-tip w/f line with a 9' leader. I put the "dropper fly" abt 2' above the "point fly" (I like the pointfly & dropper rig) Works absolutely terrific in those little mountain stream for natives.
    :cool2:

when I do use them, I like the power worms and those honeyworms. Also the bright yellow salmonoid eggs on a hair-rig for carp.

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    The biggest rainbows and espeicially big browns use small minnows. For all rainbows power bait is hard to beat

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i have 3 live baits that I will use when ever possible before I go to artificials. they are Black nose dace (or what ever native minnow is there), helligramites & red worms. depending on the current. the minnows I either hook thru the eyes for fast current with 2 split shot or thru the anus & out the tail in slower current so they have time to see him twitching and with only 1 split shot if any are needed. Helligramites are hooked thru the collar. worms are threaded on the hook with as little weight as needed to get a natural drift. other wise I fish small crankbaits or black roostertails. I dont know why but black always out fished the other colors Ive used.

18. flatheadchris

flatheadchris New Member

State:
    sc
    powerbait on bottom,and meal worms on top,best darn baits ever

19. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

When you are fishing the stockies and they stop bitting the best way to catch them is first put away your spinners and your power bait. Go to your nearest bait shop and get a clear bobber, small split shots, and small flies. You can use small dries flies or wet flies(size 10-16) Get your clear bobber set it for how deep those trout are. Get your dry or wet fly and put a small maggot or wax worm on and put a small splitshot on about 6-12 inches from the fly. Good Luck