Good at home bait tank ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jb1z, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I want to build an at home bait tank to keep bullheads/shad/bluegills in without breaking the bank.

Any suggestions ?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I got a 110 gal water tank at Tractor Supply. I keep bullheads and perch in it. I catch shad fresh when I use them.

3. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    if you got a decent put that moves water good you can keep shad alive! no joke .

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Go to the junk yard or look in the paper for a free deep freeze and stick a pump in it and a water circulator and you will be in business. And make sure you get your water from the lake or river if at all possible. Or use the water pure tabs. I personally live close enough to the river so thats where i get my water from.

5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A deep freezer as Andrew said works well. :wink:

6. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i have an extra freezer im wanting to use and have a couple questions. i have a pump i can use from an old fish tank i had, but what kind of water circulator are you talking about? if you have a link to a website showing one that would be great, if not just the name and ill google it. my other question is about temperature. are you guys leaving the freezers outdoors? are they insulated enough to keep them cool enough to keep fish alive? or are you guys keeping them indoors in a temperature controlled enviroment? thanks.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have used this cheap setup for years. a plastic barrel with top cut off. an outside water feature pump(700gph) with 3 ft of hose. a 2 liter bottle,with a slit cut into it 3/4 the way up for the water to fall out,and some air conditioner filter material in it. hang bottle from the top inside of the tank with some wire. push the pump hose to the bottom of the bottle and plug it in. this filters and gives the water oxygen, and will last for a month or two. just get another bottle ready for the change when its needed. swap them out and pitch the nasty one. you do need to change out 5gal of the water every 2 weeks when holding 40+ 4-6"gills. i keep live gills in my basement all year round with this easy setup.

8. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Got any pics ? And would this also work for bullheads ?

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i have a simular set up and it works great...im going to try the filter idea though that is my biggest issue with my tank i have to rotate the water out of it alot.

P.S. make sure to keep close tabs on your pump, mine went up while i was at work and i had enough bait in it to drain the O2 before i got home and found a bait tank full of dead fish...

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    YES! the deep freezer IS the ticket. I run my large deep freezer with an aquarium pump with an 18 inch air stone, and fish stay good for several days. I use well water in mine. The freezer, being insulated, keeps outside temperature extremes from affecting the water temps inside the chest. Also, being able to close the lid, keeps light out, thus keeping algae buildup to a minimum. Something else I do is lie a five gallon bucket in the chest. The fish like to take refuge in it when you lift the lid open on the chest. After the fish all run in the bucket, just pick the bucket up and you have most fish captured automatically! :big_smile: Reps out to ya, Sarge!

Bill in SC

11. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    put 2 power heads in there to circulate the water real well water movement is key you can pick these up at a local pet shop for about 15-20 dollars. do a 10 to 20% water change about onca a week you must use some declorination for your new water this helps keep the nitrate and nitrite levels down. put a good over the back filter on it with the charcoal filter pads this helps with the nitrates:big_smile:

12. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    forgot to tell you you can pick up a 55 gallon tank new for 70-80 dollars or a used from 30-50 probably be a good size tank for bait you go over a 55 the tanks get more expensive new

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <forgot to tell you you can pick up a 55 gallon tank new for 70-80 dollars or a used from 30-50>

Yep, and you can pick up a 100 gallon or so old deep freezer from the scrap yard for about $7 to $10. :wink:

Bill in SC

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
  15. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Another vote for deep freezer. I got mine for free from a friend, but there are free ones all the time on Craigslist.
    I just run a couple of 8" air stones and thats it. I dont have a filter but I go through my bait fast enough to where I dont think I need it. They MAY be in there a week, usually only a few days.
    With the water staying so cool it stays cleaner and holds more oxygen. Even with it being outside it never gets over 75*.
    Mine also has a drain in the bottom so changing out the water is easy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Watch for a used kids pool filter at garage sales, they work great, and they are cheap. I have 2 elements I swap out every other week, And change out half the water at the same time. I keep 2 to 6 dozen in a 50 gallon tank. Takes care of filtration, aeration, & circulation all in one.

17. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    An old deep freezer works great with some added water filtering.

18. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Would an upright freezer work? Just kidding!!!!:smile2:

19. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    A cheap pool pump works best, I used a submersable sump pump only problem is It heats the water. Get a bucket drill some holes in it, put screen in it, charcoal (like for an aquarium) and poly filter. pipe the pump in to where it discharges into the bucket filtering the water. I use a chest deep freezer and keep it in the woods in the shade. On really hot days I let a trikle of water flow through it.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  20. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The deep freeze is an awesome idea! I just because im poor and didnt think of the deep freeze i use half a 55gal drum. I have a dual air pump from a home aquarium i already had and a water pump from a water garden with a filter. Works good but what i have found out is ya have to clip the fins off the bullheads or else they will stab and kill the other fish. Had this happen twice before i figured it out...lol no one ever accused me of being none to smart i guess...haha