Good Article

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JRA, Jul 12, 2006.

1. JRA

JRA New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I ran across a good article in the July 2006 edition of Fur, Fish, and Game. The title of the article is "Daytime Tactics for Big River Flatheads." It covers location, baits, and presentation. According to this guy, a person can catch big flats by targeting their lairs (wood structure, undercut banks, etc.) in water deeper than 8 feet. The article is about a flathead guide, Denny Halgren, on the Rock River in Illinois.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff

2. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    do many of ya'll really fish for flatheads during the daytimes??? personally most of the time its too hot for me to even think about goin outside before dark...personally i would like to see more cattin articles in them magazines.....

3. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am going to have to get that edition since thats the river I currently fish.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Denny Halgren also has a few videos on fishing the Rock River

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Fish bite day and night the question is can you take the heat? lol. I like to fish during the daytime when its possible during the week when all of the nut cases are at work and I am not having to think about some idiot trying to drown me doing a 100 mph across the water.

6. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I used to fish the Rock from a Camp ground many years ago. Back when they had the Sulky race track going, but I can't remember the name of it??
    Don

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I started Daytime Flathunting this year.. I've been out a bunch with nothing but bass and channels to show for it.. Although, I've been hitting a lake not a river AND for some reason this year I aint had whole heck of alot luck at nite either hehe.. So who knows

8. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I read the article and it gives some good information. When I get moved to the river I will need al the help I can get. I have never fished for flats before.

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I fish for them during the daytime quite often. I caught a 20lber last summer smack in the middle of the day at high noon. The heat dosen't affect me none, and if you can find the fish, it dosen't affect them either.