Good areas on Lake Marion?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WhiskerSticker40, Feb 19, 2007.

1. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    I need some help please. I am an avid catfisherman on the Pee Dee river and I convinced my step-dad to start fishing with me about 3 years ago. He lives about 45 minutes from Lake Marion and we mostly fish from either John C. Land or Alex Harvin landings. We usually end up fishing the channel markers out from Goat Island or near the gates at the dam. Either I suck at locating fish (I mark them on the fish finder But I don't have a lowrance) or we are doing something wrong. We have tried herring, shad, bream, shrimp, and nightcrawlers. The best I have done in Santee is about 10 lbs one time and plenty of white perch. Any help would be appreciated, not just for me but for my dad. This man stepped in over 30+ years ago and raised 5 boys, none of his biologically. He can't swim a lick but I honestly believe he doesn't need to. If there ever will be another man who can walk on water, I think it will be him! Thanks to everyone.

R.K.

2. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    r.k i wish i could help you but i fish the lower lake mostly myself. there is a big tournament with cabelas this weekend and once that is over with these guys will help you out i feel sure. might even get better information than you could right now too. i know i dont post much myself when the preasure is on. got to hold back until the coast is clear.....:lol: you might do a search on threads and find some good things to try for now.

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I will tell you cause I amnot fishing the king kat.LOL The biggest thing about santee is there will be about 2-4 hour bite usually. First thing is dont over look the creeks(wyboo,potato creek,goat island). These creeks hold good amounts of fish year round and they are a little easier to pin down. They say that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake. So with that said make sure to turn your sensetivity down on your sonar and try to find drop offs in front of the dam(little river)and look for fish on the drops. fishing the lake is just like fishing the river exept there is more water on top of the river. Go to walmart and get a good topo map that shows different depth changes this will help on locating the under water creeks. If you mark fish and dont catch them go back and try it again. Good luck and oh yeah where do you fish on the big pee dee that is my home water also.

4. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i am no expert but a small rule of thumb is a slight change in presentation can make a big difference such as your bait , if you are using say cut shad, maybe you have been steaking it try filleting it or different cuts or maybe your set up if your using a bottom rig go to a float rig or stay with the bottom rig and switch leader size if your using 24in go to 12in for example last sat my set up was 24in leader on a bottom rig with cut shad did not get one bite , in an area i stayed in for about an hourso i changed to fillet shad and went to a 9 in leader and caught 2 blues one was around 7 and one was around 14 presentation means everything.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Go down the dam from Randolphs until you come to the last trees actually sticking up out of the water.There are three of them if memory serves me,right in a line.They mark the edge of the Little River.Get one of the fishing Hotspots maps to see the Little river.Go straight in with them on your left.Be careful but the channel is right next to the trees, go SLOOOOOOW because there are stumps right and left .Once you get past the trees, it opens out some and if you turn hard right you can see the right edge of the river channel on you finder.It will jump from about 38-40 ft up to 24.Usually some one has a trotline in that area but if you anchor up on the channel edge and throw some lines up into the 24 and some into the channel I would almost bet you a large some of money you will get a plus 20 out of there.If you look "Up" the channel you will see a big tree that leans out over the channel.The river makes a hard left there and that is a good spot also.Many tie the front of the boat to the tree and back out into the channel with their rear anchor.Use cut herring or whatever you have.DON"T cast far because there are lots of standing trees in what looks like open water.The channel itself is pretty much clear.I always hang a live perch ,bream or gill when I'm in there but it is a little early for Flatheads right now.GOOD LUCK and show me a picture if you get a good one.:smile2: :lol: :eek:oooh:

6. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    You guys are cool. Thanks so much for the info. I apologize for not responding quicker but I had a conference that started last Tuesday and I got home late Sat. night and I dedicate my Sunday's to my family. I greatly appreciate the info and I already have a topo map and will make some notes on it tonight. PeeDee... you asked where I fish on Pee Dee. I usually put in at Society Hill and go up the river for quite a ways. If you go up river to where the pipes come in for Willamette, there is a deep drop in the river bottom. I have also found a productive bend that consistently holds a good number of 7 to 15 pound fish. It is on the right side of the river when you are headed upstream in this area. It is a sweeping curve that is full of blow overs and submerged trees. There is also another "honey hole" that I fish and that is where I caught my biggest from 37 pound flathead. If you pm me I will tell you where it is. By me being a "newbie" I cannot pm anyone. To Marion (Foxhound): I appreciate the message, Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. Sorry I could not respond in private. Thanks again everyone and I will hopefully be able to send some pics when I catch some!

R.K. (WhiskerSticker)