good and cheap boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catfish Jaw, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    what are some good & cheap catfish boats ( under $1,000 ) if there are any.

Thanks!

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    at that price you would have to dish out more money cuz you would want extras

3. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    thats what i figured! oh well' thanks!

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    you can get a small flat bottom for a couple hundred dollars and then put a fishfinder and trolling motor on it for 200 more do for now

5. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    indeed my brother has a scrap yard, he gets jon boats from time to time,and he will sell them to make a buck, depends what size but you can find one for couple hundred bucks,after you buy a trolling motor,battery,depth finder,rod holders,seats,yeah 1000 maybe but then you would be limited where you could go, if you look around do your home work on it you might find a set up ready to go,there are some good deals out there just gota find it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I frequently see flat bottomed jons 10 to 12 feet with 9.9 or under engines for 1K or less. Keep your eyes peeled on craigslist daily, and you will find a steal. The economy sux and cash is king right now.
    Bill in SC

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Shop 'till you drop Justin. The main thing is not to get in a hurry. There are some decent deals around. If you are patient you will find one. I have seen 14 foot flatbottoms with good running motors on a trailer in that price range.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep the boats are definately available for the taking at that price. my previous catfish boat was a JUNK 14 ft fiberglass that I paid 400 for. Cleaned up the motor, slapped some plywood in the bottom and it turned out just fine for well less than 1000

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    keep lookin i bought a 18 foot 54 inch bottom john and trailer for 750 dollars with a new battery and small trollin motor and trailer.

sold it to my nephew

then around 6 weeks ago i bought a 18 ft 52 inch bottom lowe with a 50 hourse evenrude with trailer a 1995 model with 2 batteries and fishfinder with 2 gas tanks and 4 seats for a 1000 $$$ it had new power trim and starter put on it around a yr ago and was in good shape and extra prop .

the deals are out there for a starter boat u will find 1

wont tell ya what i bought a 12 gauge browning for i stole it lol

good luck my friend

10. Catfish Jaw

Catfish Jaw New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Me and my brother bought a 10 foot jon boat at the beginning of the summer and haven't used it much.
    I wanted to find somethin' a little bigger. I am still keepin the 10' but I wanted an Idea for when i get ALOT of money.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Need more info. What kind of waters do you plan to fish with it? And how many people on it? How much power do you need? You can easily find a 14' jonboat with trailer and small outboard, with trolling motor and depthfinder for under $1000; something larger and more powerful will be harder to find, but certainly possible. Several years ago, I found a 16' bass boat with foot-controlled TM and 85hp Mercury with tilt & trim, on a trailer, for $650. Beat the bushes and keep your cash ready. Bargains don't last long! Just checked the local paper, and there's a 1987 Bayliner bass boat with 55hp outboard, fctm, df, & trailer for $1000 obo. So, yeah, stuff's out there, and this is the time to get a deal.

12. DoubleD

DoubleD New Member

State:
    MO
    Here in MO I bought an old 16 foot 1972 Richline, aluminum semi-v with trailor and 1973 25 hp Evinrude with electric start and stick steer for 1K a few months ago, out of craigslist. It an old boat, but its a work horse and the motor runs great.

I'm seeing similiar setups even cheaper now that winter is moving in and the economy is going south.

Just keep looking and you will find what your looking for.

13. 54ball

54ball New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My boat is a 16' 1963 Tuffy Flat bottom with a 1964 18HP Fastwin Evinrude. It came with a depth finder, Minn Cota Trolling Motor, Cover and was on a Heavy duty Tennessee Trailer. All for $600.
    The Evinrude runs like new.:wink:

14. Carolina Cat Crew

Carolina Cat Crew New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Try looking on Craigslist, I have seen some descent and reasonable flatbottoms on there a couple times.