Good and bad evening on the Missouri River last night

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ravenloft420, Apr 4, 2007.

1. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    I found this spot in st charles where there is a thin rock bank that extends a little ways out creating a big swirl . and right in the middle of it there is a little circle pool where a creek feeds into the river. up the hill there are alot of resturants so I figure alot of food waste gets washed down.(does this sound like a cat producing area??)

any way I decided to brave the cold and mud last night and get dropped of with no bait!!! I just figured I would go snag an asian carp,cut it up and have some fresh bait to try this little spot. boy was I bull-headed, I tried for over an hour to snag something and didnt even touch anything. I eneded up just sitting down and having a few colds and watching the beavers do as they do. there were tons of them, in fact when I first got there I walked out to my spot and I thought I saw an asian carp swimming half out of the water like they do and I shined my flashlight on it and SLAP!!!! it whacked its tail on the water,alerting everything around im sure.

anyway, I had 2 contradicting thoughts about this

1. I am very happy there is not a SWARM of bigheads swimming around at this spot on the missouri like I always find in the mississippi.

2. I am dissapointed because I think in an hour of snagging I should have at least snagged SOMETHING!!

does that mean there are no fish there?

if there are catfish there are catfish hard to snag or something?

if the creek runs downhill from alot of resturants and bars would there also be alot of cleaning chemicals such as detergents and disinfectants that would send the fish away?

does this sound like a good spot?

any help would be apreciated!!

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a good spot. I dont think the sewer water from the food places will effect it as the storm water is a different system that runs into the river.
    Those carp make great bait and chum...

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like a good spot to me. I'm guessing that the cold weather just had em deep that night. Next time bring some bait and you will know for sure.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I think the cold front that pushed through has alot to do with it. Tuesday I went out and the fish were biting. wednesday, after the cold front, nothing was biting. the gar wasn't even stirring.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Gary and myself spent 7 hours on the Miss yesterday. One word - BLUSTERY. In Gary's words, he was shakin like a dog poopin a peach seed. Several nibbles, and Gary lost a 10 pound fish or so that decided last minute to dart under the boat and the hook pulled. River is really really high. I havnt seen it this high in quite some time. Best advice I can give in these conditions is to hole sit. Put out a good chum slick and stay put. Its taking these fish quite some time to find the baits with the high turbulent waters. Gary and I sat for 2 hours without a nibble then it seemed we had a flurry of bites and he lost the one fish. We had a real good chum slick going, and I'm convinced that was the ticket to getting those bites. If we had a couple more hours on that hole I believe we would have caught some fish. We got all of our bites on asian carp.

Oh, and the asians are spawning. I snagged a 20 pound asian in Fountain Creek and there must have been a million eggs in that stupid thing. We did our part in preventing 1 million new asians from being in the river. :big_smile:

6. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    This cold weather must of sent the asian carp away from the Chain of Rocks area because I snagged for about 4 hours yesterday and only caught two little bitty 1 pounders. The weekend before they were like rats in there when it was warm.

What is Fountain Creek at?

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey Seth, Fountain Creek is down by Festus Missouri. If your wanting to snag some asians for bait, any of the wing dykes from St. Louis on South is loaded with them. Just use your electronics. The dykes that have little to no current are best. They are not hard to find. Theres lots of asians stacked up at the entrances to all the tributaries too.

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    John, you ain't kiddin' when you said it was cold. I guess it wasns't too bad out of the wind, but it was still kind of chilly. I just wish I could've got that fish in the boat, and break this years curse!:angry: Only one thing to do though, when the temp warms up, and the river starts dropping, try it again!:smile2: By the way Fountain creek is the Illinois bank accross from Hoppy's marina. The one we were in yesterday is Plattin Creek!:wink:

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Your right, I mix them up all the time. Sorry Seth. :embarassed: Well get back out there when that ol battle ax mother nature cooperates.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    We snagged that asian in Plattn Creek which is down by Festus. Like Gary said, Fountain creek is on the Illinios side a few miles south of the JB bridge. You can snag asians in there too. Fountain creek is also a pretty good place to find shad. Sorry for the mixup.

11. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hopefully by the end of April, the Miss. will finally be stabilized, and the bite will take off. :big_smile: :big_smile: Until then, off to MTL to chase the flatties around. Cuz, you outta come up there with us this year. I gotta place to stay up there for free. I'll probably make a few trips. I'd like to learn how to catch them big blues up there too.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Let me know the dates you go. I might be able to make it.

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Southfork Resort reports that a few flatties are starting to be caught.

14. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good deal, I hope to head up there in a couple of weekends, I fished around South Fork/Elk Fork alot last year, and it seems like timing is everything there. I usually check www.southforkresort.net quite a bit for reports.

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Gary, do you fish with rodnreel on MTL for those flatties or do you set trot lines, jugs or limblines? I've run trotlines up there before and have caught a couple in the 20's...would love to get em on rodnreel though! Another good site is www.cannondam.com for updates and reports...plus they have a bigfish contest twice a year!

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    We catch a few on rod and reel, but we mostly use the fiberglass "dob rods" A solid 5 ft fiberglass stake, that we sink into trees, with a 5 foot line, swivel, and a 5 foot leader with a 10/0 hook. We use big goldfish for bait. We are finding that if we get our timing just right, we can catch them in the 45-65 lb range on a regular basis. I've been fishing there for several years, and I haven't done any good at all on a trotline. Maybe a few channels or blues here and there, but no flatheads. The fish in my avatar is a 46 lber, The first flathead that I caught up there last year.