Good and Bad Day on Grand Lake

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by jayhawkokie, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    I got my boat on the water before daylight and went to one of my favorite bass spots and just as dawn cracked the white bass started surfacing. I had my limit in less than 30 minutes, I kept only the bigger fish so I probably caught more than 30 total and kept 20, that was good.

Now for the bad, I casted out one more time and for some reason my rod slipped out of my hand and right into the drink. It was my favorite rig, and the only one in the boat, so my fisahing was done for the day. Nedless to say, the Missus wasn't impressed. I'll watch Bass Pro to see if the same reel goes on sale and get another. I don't believe in tying up more than $100 in a rig for this very reason.

Jayhawkokie
    Grand Lake Oklahoma

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    thats when ya go swimmin for it lol

3. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    Don't think I didn't think about jumping in after it, but the water was pretty deep. If I had taken another rig with me I would have put a big treble hook I have in the box on the line and tried to snag it. I have a friend who lost several rigs and was successful a time or two in snagging them.

4. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    lol i have had to snag a rod the past 2 trips to the river

5. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    If there has been no generation from the dam, which might move that rod some, and you think that rod/reel might still be there, take an old metal stringer on a rope and open up the clips and drag it for a while. You might just catch it. I snagged an old rod one time doing that. The clips will bend out if you snag it on a rock, so you can probably drag as long as you want to without totally hanging up.
    Try it. It may work.
    Good luck

6. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    If I had been thinking I would have grabbed a bouy and tossed it in the spot and go get my equipment to try to retrieve it. This is the first time this happened to me and I wasn't sure what to do except gather up my marbles and go home and break the news to the Missus. Bless her heart she told me to replace it with whatever I wanted.

The wind was blowing pretty hard and it wouldn't have been worth going in after a $100 fishing rig and have the boat drift away and not be able to swim and catch up with the boat.

I'm going back out tomorrow and try again without losing my equipment.

Jayhawkokie