Good anchors for leg hold racoon traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 15, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive never really had to use anchors, i always had a fance post where i was trapping, but now i dont and i aws wondering what would be a good anchor for a racoon foothold trap? there are some nice racoons that are pretty big?

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Kevin, what I've always used for anchors were 30" sticks of rebar. I weld a nut to the top, and put a washer underneath that. A small weld bead beneath the washer, holds the washer to the nut & keeps it from sliding down the rebar. I mount those 2 rod things (jeeze I can't remember the names of 'em, shaped like figure 8's) on the ends of my trap chains and I drive my 2 30" rebar stakes in an X shape. This is known as cross-staking. Coons ain't gonna pull one of them out of hte ground, let alone 2.... but you never know what else may step in your trap & you don't want to lose a trap or an animal. If I can get out in the cold today, I'll take a picture of waht I'm talking about. They're easy to make & way cheaper than store-bought trap anchors. They're easily removable too.

3. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    you really shouldnt need to cross stake at all for anyting coyote size or smaller as long as the stake is about 30 inches long. the only thing is to make sure the rod is pretty thick(almost half inch) so that the big bnoys cant slide 'em right out of the ground, thats why rebar is good.

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've never used anything longer than 18" but this is Iowa.
    I guess if I were trapping in sand I'd consider crossing stakes but here in Iowa 30" would be overkill.
    You'll find that soil like ours will pack into the grooves in rebar and lock it in place. It takes a pair of vice grips to twist it out of the ground.
    I just weld a washer 1" below the top of the stake.
    That way you aren't liable to break the weld when pounding it into the ground.
    To answer your question---It depends upon the soil and weather conditions.

When I first started trapping and was short on supplies i used wood stakes.
    I used hardwood tree branches that looked like a Y with one of the uprights 18" long. I drove it in by hitting the bottom of the Y.(hope you understand what it looked like)
    Also I used oak pump rods. They were about 1" square and 10' long.
    I cut them about 18" and drove a nail about 1" from the top (sort of looked like a T) to keep the trap from pulling over the top.Sharpened the opposite end.
    I used the wooden stakes around the edges of ponds and nailed a fish to the top.
    Mr Coon would wade out to investigate the fish and whammm I caught him.
    Worked pretty good until Iowa passed a "no exposed bait" rule

good luck
    just