good afternoon

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by riverdawg-1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    the state stocked a small creek nearby this morn, i got out around 445 this afternoon and caught my limit, 6 trout, in about an hour. they were all between 14-16 inch rainbows got 1 on power bait and the rest on trout magnet.
    chip

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Congrats! And the grill is on Med/Low right, :wink:

3. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    must be nice 9/10ths of our streams are closed till the 4th or the 18th of april depending where in PA you live.

4. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    va changed to a year round trout season about 15 years ago.

5. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Way to go Chip ..I love going trout fishing and trout eating lol:smile2:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a good day!! Congrats

7. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    well i made it out on saturday as it was the last day of trout season till the 18th of april. started out on a small mountain laurel choked stream and got a ton of little (3-6 inches)native brookies. i think that right there is fishing at its best.moved on to a little run that feeds black moshannon lake and using a silver 1/32 oz panther martin got and released my personal best 14 inch native brookie. beautiful fish big hooked jaw, vibrant red halos, black as coal mouth and underbelly. that got me thinking as to the age of this fish, the stream isn't very fertile but he can enter the lake to eat, i just wish this fish could talk.

8. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    very cool Nut did you snap any pictures? There are few trout around here in KY and very few places near here to catch a brookie, when I worked for the fish and wildlife we went shocking at a stream way out in the middle of nowhere and I got to shock up a small brook trout first time I have ever seen one in the "wild".

Bill

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    for those that don't know a 14" native brookie is as rare as an 100# bluecat in the mississippi and requires alot more stealth and skill to catch. There's prolly no fish bigger in that little stream and he's survived the herons, and raccoons by darting in thick tangled vegatation at the sign of the slightest shadow... What an impressive catch! reps to you.

10. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    sorry there is no pics:sad2: buddy forgot to save it on his camera. jolie can you imagine the age of this fish, i'm no biologist and have no idea how long a fish lives, but he must be up there.
    besides i'm still figuring out how to post pics and such, i'm not too computer literate.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    the following is a good internet article that will help put your catch in perspective.
    http://www.patrout.org/wttrout.htm

As the table relates, 14 inches is a big age for any wild book trout to attain to. Keep in mind that generally I have heard that the maximum age of a brook trout is about 10 years. Knowing that you were fishing an infertile, woodland stream and a 14 incher would nearly be at the maximum age for a brook trout (as growth rates past 6 years, decline to about 1" a year)...

Perhaps the fish is a little younger for the benefit of the increased food supply at the lake at black moshannock reservoir where he probably spends most of the summer and winter.

Just as noteworthy though is the rarity of a fish of that size; even in a fertile stream they are just 1 and 1000. in a little brook there are absolute jewels and I wouldn't wonder if you could count fish of this size on your hands throughout all of the little pools in that small stream (and if you could, its probably due to a spring spawn out of the lake).

Biologist couldn't find a brookie bigger than 9" in their study stream and that was in a population of 15,000.

the following web page shows why when dealing with native populations you should only harvest very infrequently if at all.

12. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    amazing article, thanks for the heads up.