Good abu rod/reel combos?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by delawareriver, Mar 12, 2006.

1. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    ok so i was reading about the post about the best reels and almost every one has abu on theirs and if they dont its because they dont own any. so i decided i should invest in a decent rod/reel combo.

i think i would rather have a spinning reel but a baitcaster works to, a light or medium rod rated for 6-12# line, i do alot of smallmouth fishing and 99 percent of the catfish i catch are 3 or 4# with the largest around 10#. i like the lighter poles though. anyone know of a decent cobo that would work me?

2. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I know that Walmart sells the Ambassadeur 4600c3 for about 60.00, it's got a smaller spool probably due to being more of a bass reel or you could go with a 5500c3 for about the same price. For a rod the ugly stick can be found at walmart for around 27.00 so you could get you a good combo for less than 100.00 including line.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thats about what mine cost you can get Abu 6500C3 off of Ebay for $25-50 and get a ugly for 29.

4. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    sounds good now i gotta get a nice paycheck

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I know its not Abu but you can get a good Shakespear for 30, my wife got me a contender R/R for that cast real nice and looks pretty sturdy.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yes that what i have now that i use 90 percent of the time for trout/smallmouth/ and panfish. its a 5 foot ultralight ugly stick matched with a shakespeare reel, i would like to get something a touch bigger since last year i hook into a catfish (i think at least, maybe a carp or striper) that pulled drag for about 30 seconds before breaking the line.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    No this is a 7ft rod with a big reel called a contender its black rod with black reel its nice

8. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    ok ill check that out

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I recently got a nice abu combo at walmart. Has an abu 6000 on a 6.5 ft abu rod.

only $69.00

The rod is a medium action but should be good for what you mentioned.

10. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    thank you tdawg

11. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    This is my first time here and from my saltwater experience I would take the 5500 or 6500 C3 and Quantam inshore cobia rod. The rod itself is a seven foot with light to medium action rated. I have a few and it is a great rod for casting and not expensive.

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey TDawg.. have you tried that outfit yet.. I just bought one today and am wondering how it will work out..:crying:

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    My friend has a VERY nice outfit that I personally like a lot. It is an Abu 7000 attatched to a Berkley Glowstick 8' medium/med heavy (I cant remember off hand) and spooled with Stren clear 20 lb. test. It is a great setup. The glowstick also works amazingly for night use. It doesnt even need batteries to glow like a firefly. The reel (as you probably could have guessed) is also very good. It shouldnt have any problem hauling in a 50-60 pound hog.

:0a26:

14. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    thanks but i only need to pull in 10# at the most, only small channel cats in my neck of the woods. sounds like a great combo for big blues and flatts not to mention stripers and saltwater.

15. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    a good channel cat combo i think is a 5000 and a zebco rhino rod. thats what i have, love the thing. great for channel cats plus it will handle some bigger stuff, just in case.