good 9-10 ft river fishing rod?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Brian D, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am having a hard time finding a rod of this length that isnt built like a broom stick! Would rather have a 1 peice pole,but would settle for a 2.I would be putting a 6500 abu with 17 - 20 lb line on it,and 1 to 4 oz weights,more like 2-3,thanks for yalls help.

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have a Cat-Master from Gander Mnt that looks like a big lug of a rod but just this evening I was nailing 12-14 inch walleye with it if that tells ya anything.

I have also caught fish in the 40 lb range and it handles them with ease.

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cabelas has king kats and whupping sticks in 9' that are pretty good for $25 6000s and 4oz go pretty good together with them.

4. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
  5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would look at Catfish Connection's site. The Wildcat casting and Eagle Claw casting rods. I had a River Cat 12' for a brief time. It was a nice rod, but too soft for bank fishing the river with current, might be a nice choice for what you need. If the shorter Ugly Sticks are anything like the 12' casting models, they are also very soft. Good luck.

6. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The Cabelas King Kat rod is something you should check out. The rods have a slower action to them which makes them a great circle hook rod but they have enough back bone to land the fish.

7. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    You didn't mention a price range you were looking for, however, you might find the Tica range of rods has what your needing.

You can find them at Cabelas, under the Surf Fishing rods section. They have a 9' 2pc for 2-6oz and an 8' 1pc that would handle your 2-3oz leads. For $89-$99 you can't go wrong.

8. Brian D

Brian D New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks for the help yall, I was looking at $100 or under.gonna check out the suggestions, we dont have a cabelas or gander mtn here,gonna look at what basspro has to offer in tulsa ,and some local places have meathunters,I just want to put my hands on the pole before i buy it.That kinda came out wrong,LOL!

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well bass pro will probally have their catmaxx and berkley glow stik and probally an ugly stik or two. thats about all they have at ours so id assume yours would have about the same. i dont have any of those so youd have to look around on here for reviews.

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I like the catmax rods bps sells. If your bass pro doesn't have a big selection on catfish products, you have only to let them know. If you get enough people in the area they will get more products in. They have a whole catfish section in the cincinnati area.

11. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    get a 9' berkley glow stick mh you will not need another rod for any types of catfishing!! plus the whole rod glows in the dark!!

12. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    get a 9' berkley glow stick mh you will not need another rod for any types of catfishing!! plus the whole rod glows in the dark!!