Good 4x4

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by NewMexicoCatfisher, Jul 28, 2008.

1. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I will be getting my provisional license come January and I have been looking for a full sized 4x4 SUV:eek:oooh:. I have saved up for about 3 years and have $12,000. I have been looking at Ford Explorers. Any suggestions on a good SUV??

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    A Ford Explorer is not full size, A Ford Expedition is.

Get what size you need. Right now they are giving away used ones. No one wants those gas hogs.

I seen a Suburban for 10K under Kelly Blue Book on Car Mart in Chicago. Check out Ebay, just punch the button for so many miles from your home, and that is all it will show.

I would not buy a new one, 07s and 06s with low miles are out there, CHEAP.

I like Fords because there transfer case has a 2.7 to 1 ratio in low. GMs are 2 to 1 ratio. That extra low deal in granny gear lets my 250 pull anything/get anything rolling. lol

3. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    id go with a dodge durango or ford expidetion. they both do pretty good.

4. will21190

will21190 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    i'd get a chevrolet tracker zr2, 2 door /convertible which gets about 28 mpg on the hwy. Its also pretty capable off road

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    a ford explorer is a midsize sub. we have a 2001 exploder with 4x4. we got a set of all terrains on it and it will go anywhere we want it to. its got a deal (automatick 4wd i think its called) where if 1 wheel starts spinning in the back all 4 will engage to get more traction. its a beast though i wish it had a little more ground clearence. the 4.0 engine puts out plunty of power and pull our 18ft bass boat like nothing.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Use caution with exploders. My wife has a 2001 and it runs good, but keep in mind that resale is about nothing due to the mass volume out there. For a first It'd be a good vehical. Just be sure, no matter what you get, to check it from top to bottom for leaks and rust. Pull a carfax report also. You sound like you've already started right by the ability to save the money for a car. Good luck with your purchase.

7. KyLeN

KyLeN New Member

State:
    ohio
    a ford excursion v10 buddy of mine gots one we take out alot and never have got it stuck

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    we have a 97 exploder,2 door.i am really impressed with that thing.there is over 160,000 miles on it and it is still going strong,the 4 wheel is great in it too.

9. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Laugh if you will!

2001 s10 ext cab p/u 4.3 v6 5 speed 4x4. it will pull like a army mule and run all day pulling my boat at 80 mph!

Oh yea I got it with 38000 its real close to 200000. It runs strong!:wink:

10. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    check out the older broncos..you can find em dirt cheap and still have plenty cash left over to modify it if you choose. also from what i've heard jimmy's are decent...as well as the blazers. personally i would never buy a blazer but i know theyre a good vehicle. i think i saw it up a few posts, but make sure to get a carfax report.

11. BACKWOODSBOY350

BACKWOODSBOY350 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    THE ZR2 S10 BLAZERS ARE AWSOME GOOD POWER TO WEIGHT AND PLENTY OF GROUND CLARENCE. SOME THAT IS A LITTLE MORE BULLET PROOF ARE THE OLD K5 BLAZERS 350 ENGINE SO PARTS ARE DIRT CHEAP AND BODYS ARE STEEL

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    *cough* 2003-2006 Jeep Rubicon.

13. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    For wheelin and rock crawling i fully agree. I love mine and it is alot of fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDtkjA1lRh4

If you need more cargo space tray a Rubicon Unlimited.