Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 65th next month I thought I would buy a starter fly fishing rig and try to learn it. I've wanted to try it all my life but for one reason or another passed it by.
Bass Pro has a starter rig that is 6wt which I'm given to understand will work for most fish I'll target. Anyone with experience with this I'd eagerly accept advice:

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I caught a fly combo with auto reel when I was young. I cleaned it up and tried to use it. Never fished an area where I wouldn't get caught on something behind me. Depending on the lure I'd see fish follow it in but never a bite. Once in a boat I removed the float and dropped a cricket into thick cover, caught a lot of large black bream. My dad and uncle had cane poles and couldn't get into them. Years later walmart had a 9 ft rear seat rod on clearance for $8. I put a Johnson Century 100 on it. It took both hands to cast, mostly flipping. Later the rod was for $5 and got another. I have a trigger spin reel on them now.

·
Registered
Justin from Utah
1,529 Posts
Neill I'm not a pro with the whispy stick but I do have 4 fly rods and do get out occasionally. I rather enjoy whipping it around and the calmness that comes with standing in the water. I taught myself everything from watching YouTube and talking to the guys and cabelas a few times. I buy my flies as I don't know how to tie them. If you want some pointers that I picked up just pm me.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys.
Justin I likely will be getting back to you. I watched a couple of videos and one of them the fellow taught a small child in a couple of minutes. Maybe that's when I should of started. :)

I will post updates with my victories and defeats.

·
Horse-MON
23,337 Posts
I caught a fly combo with auto reel when I was young. I cleaned it up and tried to use it. Never fished an area where I wouldn't get caught on something behind me. Depending on the lure I'd see fish follow it in but never a bite. Once in a boat I removed the float and dropped a cricket into thick cover, caught a lot of large black bream. My dad and uncle had cane poles and couldn't get into them. Years later walmart had a 9 ft rear seat rod on clearance for $8. I put a Johnson Century 100 on it. It took both hands to cast, mostly flipping. Later the rod was for $5 and got another. I have a trigger spin reel on them now.
I still have one of those Johnson reels, still works far as I know.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,545 Posts
Neill,
When I taught myself to fly fish (pre-YouTube!) it was kinda frustrating to start with but once I got the hang of it I found it to be very enjoyable. Timing is the key.... once I'd figured out I wasn't trying to crack a bull whip, it all fell into place.

I do believe that our Creator made bluegills so we could learn to fly fish; they are so obliging and fight like little demons on a light rod. I have never trout fished with a fly rod but I have occasionally hooked the odd channel cat while fly fishing and that is quite exciting and a test of fish playing ability with a 2lb tippet.
Have fun.

...W

·
Registered
372 Posts
10....and 2 ...you'll learn what it means ..promise ! Roll cast if you got brush behind you hard to explain bit youtube it ....Bronzebacks my favs. A muddler minnow ...Find a Mulberry tree over hanging a river ....carp and cats love mulberries !!! And go to that pond for gills ! Meal worms stay on a small hook pretty good ....I know that might be considered cheating lol ...Small poppers will get you on gills and pond green carp ( Largemouths) lol .If you start stream trout fishing and using nymphs get a strike indicator ...just a few things you can find on youtube . I don't fly fish hardly at all anymore ..but might be something you'd enjoy ..It was an addiction of mine years ago Now I only trout fish with a flyrod a couple times a year ....But there is something to be said when you accomplish something new IMO ..Oh...let the rod tire the fish out and hesitate when setting the hook with a dry fly or popper ...tight lines bud !

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,886 Posts
As mentioned above, if you see fish following the fly but not taking it, put a crappie bite on the fly hook. It has a smell and bright color to it that bluegill around here just cant resist. I catch most all of my bream for bait on a fly rod and very seldom ever cast a fly without the crappie bite on them now.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That’s one thing I’ve never took a notion to learn.. I barely have room to cast most of the time.. I fish in some thick stuff above, in front and behind me 70% of the time.. I barely can pitch a bait sometimes and a missed hook set gets stuck in the trees.. ha ha !! good luck my friend and share how it goes..

·
Registered
Larry from North Carolina
44 Posts
I fly fish for trout, redfish and panfish. If you are fishing in moving water it helps with learning to cast. Like eldwva mentioned 10 and 2 is your guide to casting (for the most part). When no moving water is present you have two techniques. Roll cast which works better in moving water and double haul casting. Both are only mastered with practice. I would recommend searching You Tube videos for roll casting and double haul to demostrating these techniques. But honestly, it's just understanding the techniques and then "feeling the rod load" to make a cast. Once you feel that happen then you can work on your accuracy. It super fun way to add to your arsenal for catching fish.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am overwhelmed with the positive response. Thanks.
Was kind of expecting..."are you kidding, we're catfish men, not sissies!" :ROFLMAO:

Smallmouth streams around here are fairly shallow and banks are grown up so I figure creek shoes and shorts and just wade out in it. Good way to cool off in the summer.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As mentioned above, if you see fish following the fly but not taking it, put a crappie bite on the fly hook. It has a smell and bright color to it that bluegill around here just cant resist. I catch most all of my bream for bait on a fly rod and very seldom ever cast a fly without the crappie bite on them now.
Crappie bites....do you have a favorite color?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts