Gonna try some jugging....newbie questions.

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by SkipEye, May 20, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey folks........gonna take the boys this weekend and throw some jugs out for something different on a lake since the rivers are in major flood.

I am making some Pool Noodle Flagging Jugs as found in the BOC Libray. I have been reading to let the weight hit the bottom, then add 2 feet of slack to the line before tying off. These would then be anchored jugs using this method. If there is that much slack in the line how is the cat going to pull the jug under enough to set the hook?

Do you put your bait higher or what, say 4' from the sinker?

I am going to run a single hook per jug to make things easier.

I am thinking about some long line on a least a few of these jugs because I'll be jugging during the day and would like to hit some deep holes also but it seems like most of you use very short lines and fish in the middle of the water column.

Any suggestions or advice appreciated. There are Blues, Channels and Flats on the lake.

I used the MONSTER NOODLES from Wally World that take 1" sched 40 PVC to fit the hole, noodles are 12" long, PVC is 24" long with a 6" piece of 5/8" rebar inside to tip the jug. Cushioned each interior end of the PVC with dense foam to cushion the shock of the rebar and wrapped the top with reflective tape. 12 of them fit neatly in a knock-off milk crate style tub. They turned out pretty sweet thanks to the BOC Library!!!!

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Skip we dont use anchored jugs-noodles around here we want them floating so when they pull them the hook will set:tounge_out: we run from 2-10ft usually...there killing them right now on jugs around here in the coves and back up- water on cut-perch & live perch..shad is not producing for some reason:eek:oooh: dont worry i will try some skips:wink: see what happens...I make mine different ..i use egg-sinkers and open up the hole a little:smile2: with a drill bit in the vise...tie my hook on the bottom slide the weight on & down ..it will stop on the top of the hook then i add 1 more hook & tie it 2 total then attatch it to the noodle.....use 3way swivel for top hook solves all problems:wink: dont panic with the weight againist the hook it will work for ya:tounge_out: Johnny does his the same way.....be safe on the holiday weekend were camping & fishing too!!! Good luck my friend!!

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Big Sam that's some good info thanks.

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    You're welcome!!! They work well rigged like that:wink:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As big sam posted there also catching them here in the coves also.
    Here also the fish are up off bottom feeding. So I would free float them look for fish and see what depth there showing up on the depthfinder. And fish that depth.
    Good luck and hope you get the kids hooked on jug fishing.
    Pete

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you do decide to go with anchored jugs, I'd make sure that my hooks were positioned above the bottom.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Got it covered Jerry. My jugs should be pretty versatile. I am using trotline clips on the bottom so I can quickly change weight size depending on if I want them anchored or free floating. The leaders, swivel and hooks are pre-made in different sizes also and attach with a trotline clip so I can change hook sizes/styles too. By placing two knots at a few different places I can change the position of the hook on the drop line too.

I put 30 ft. of line on each jug so I can fish a bit deeper during the day. The depth of line is adjustable to fish it however deep I wish by copying what one of the boc guys put in the library.

Can't wait to try them out. Man it was a bunch of work but I have 24 of them made up and ready to go for the trial run. They turned out great!

8. Eddie Mullins

Eddie Mullins New Member

State:
    AR
    I am working on almost the exact jugs right now. I only had 1/2 inch rebar so its taking a few pieces to make the jugs flag correctly, mine are the same dimensions as yours. I have only glued 1 up so far as I have been testing the flagging and adjusting weight and trying to decide on how I wanted them. Parts are cut for another 24 and I hope to have them done in the next couple days and in the water in a couple more.