Gonna try lure making this winter!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Oct 25, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hey guys n Gals, I am a Hobby addict and I have decided to make some High-end lures out of curly maple and cherry as well as balsa and was wondering if anybody could help me find a good place to buy the components?
    I plan on making crank/jerk baits for Bass, walleye, Pike, Muskie. ect..
    If anyone is interested in seeing them I will put up pics when I get a few done. I am pretty handy with wood and and stuff like that so I figured I could combine that with fishing and make some great lures! What do ya think about that? I just bought an airbrush and a nice dremel and got to get some scales to weight them properly but I'm on the right track..I think! LOL

2. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Here is a link you might check out. It is a decoy carving forum but they do have a fish carving forum within it and I imagine the materials needed would be about the same for both, I fool around carving decoys when the weather is just too rough to be outside . I get my raw blocks from a log home manufacturer here locally from the short ends they cut off. No maple , cherry or balsa though.
    http://decoycarvingforum.com/6/ubb.x

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

My papa (grandfather) would use big dowel rods for most of his homemade plugs. Just a thought.

4. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you fella's for the great info! I'll let ya know how I made out.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thank you for that fourm. I joined and I even have the same Screen Name as here so I'll be easy to find. I "hang out" in the fish carving fourm.

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Glad it will do you some good Jay, just don't spend too much time there and forget about us all here on the BOC!:eek:oooh: Post some pics of your lures once you get up and going.

7. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Ok, I finally got some of the paints and clearcoats as well as some of the parts I needed so hopefully I can get the show started pretty soon! I need to buy another compressor cause mine is from 1975. It works but it's really loud! Made my Miller. I seen one called a "pancake" I think at wallyworld for around 60.00 that looks nice. I just need to wait for my parts catalog to arrive and make a component order and I'll be in! I even have a digiscale for properly weighting and "Trueing" them! I think this will be alot of fun and neat to see if they work!

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I can't wait to see what you come up with,they'll be pretty cool!!!

9. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I have contemplated doing this too. I havent started yet, but a buddy gave me a catalog from the website below. They got alot of goodies to make all kinds of baits/lures. Id also like to see what you come up with, may help out a brainless wonder like myself:lol:

http://www.barlowstackle.com

Kenny