Gonna try for skipjack tomorrow

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by air4se, Jan 7, 2006.

1. air4se

air4se New Member

State:
    Jackson TN
    Would someone please tell me the best jig or lure to use for skipjack at Pickwick dam area? I am going tomorrow morning to try to get some for bait. Las tweek I went and didnot get a one.

Thanks and Happy Fishin!

Tim

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    From what I'm told, the sabiki rig works well. We don't have skips here so I'm not sure.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Try a sabiki rig or small leadhead jigs/grubtails. Good luck.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    A white grub on a lead head or the sabiki rig. The one with red hooks works better. Also cost more. but it will out catch the others.
    Stop in at Pickwick Pro bass next to Prices BBQ. He should know if and what there catching them on.
    Also try the main point below the dam they sould be there . Or along the west side of the dam Off the end of the lock wall. if fishing from the bank theres a parking spot at the point below the dam Right below where the trees start.
    And you can drive past the lock and walk down the walk ramp to fish for them on the Counce side.
    Good luck i have not caught any there in a while.
    Also not much if any current tomorrow. so that will make it tough. Here is a link to show when and how much current is running.
    http://lakeinfo.tva.gov/htbin/lakeinfo?site=PKH&DataType=All&submit=View+info

PEte

5. air4se

air4se New Member

State:
    Jackson TN
    What is a sabiki rig? We will try and post results afterwards.

Thanks,

Tim

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Tim: If you go to either Bass Pro Shop's or Cabela's web sites and do a search on keyword = sabiki you will see what they look like. I have made my own using small crappie jigs, so if you can't buy one around where you live, you can try making some. Use light line - 4 or 6 pounds, and you can use 3 - 6 jigs on each one, or whatever you decide to try. You can also expiriment with different size jigs on the same rig; sometimes I put a heavier one on the bottom to help cast it farther. Good Luck!

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    A sabiki rig will certainly work; I've seen them do it. But I've also seen crappie jigs work just as well; proven by fishing them side by side. Personally, I prefer using the crappie jigs. You can use tubes or curlytails. Take an assortment, because sometimes one color will work better than other colors, and not necessarily for a whole trip--you may find one color catches the most fish as one school comes through, only to need to switch to another color for the next school. We've had good luck with white, gray (shad), red, blue, & yellow; other colors may work best occasionally, but those are pretty much the standards we use.
    Sometimes your best skipjack fishing is right in the boils and strong current immediately below them, but more often, you'll do best by fishing the current edges. If you're fishing from shore, follow the pasrking lot road down below the lot through the open field almost to where it swings back and joins the road to the campground. When you look down at the shoreline, you'll see that the shoreline makes a bend out into the current there, causing the current to run into the shorline, where it glances off at an angle away from the shoreling. That current break, where it runs away from the shoreline is an excellent spot to catch skippies from shore. We actually beached the boat and fished that spot from shore last spring. Just a little further out is a honeyhole for stripers.

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    http:www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=59526&hvarTarget=search&c... this is what the lures on a sabiki look like. Usualy six on a leader. I bought some from bass pro and have not caught anything on them, but they will snag good. I need to get some bigger sabiki rigs. What works well is crappie lures and jigs, curly tails. Put 4 on your line by dropper loops, works great. I have caught alot of them here lately at cumberland city steamplant.

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas