Gonna try Cuivre Island access

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Apr 17, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey all, stopped by Cuivre Island access on the way home. Well, the ramp is flooded like everywhere else but I think I can still launch so got the boat hooked up and PipeRat is gonna meet me there on his way home from work.

Never launched there but it beats setting at home. Bringing a few wally world plastic bags in case we aren't catching any fish. Then we'll try to find a few shrooms. A little early yet but the reds ought to be out and maybe some small grays.

Got the hip boots packed too 'cause the truck will be in the water completely before the boat floats.

I have been there once for a look-see so at least I know where the ramp is SUPPOSED to be!:crazy:

2. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well good luck to ya darryl, make sure you have your GPS turned on, I went out there once in the evening into the dark, let's just say without the GPS, It would have been a long night! Alot of islands in that area that kind of get you turned around and confused if you're not real familiar with the area, especially in the dark!

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Marking a waypoint at the ramp first thing.

Outta here.

Results posted later. Skunk or not!:smile2:

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Good luck Skip, Now get out there and show us how its done

5. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Good luck Skip, go catch some hawgs.

6. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Go get em skip, hope ya also find some shroons… turkey hunters will be out on the island soon so the early bird gets the shroons. :smile2:

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
  8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Hey Skippy, WATCH OUT FOR THAT -------------------------TREE

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good luck out there Skippy. We will be expecting a full report!!:smile2::smile2:
    Anybody been to Columbia Bottoms in the past couple of days? JW what condition the ramp is there, just incase I don't go to Mark Twain. I'm ready for a change in scenery.:wink:

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Skunked on shrooms.

Skunked on fish.

Only put about two hours in total for both endeavors but still had a great time on the water.

Didn't want to stay after dark never having been there before. Fished the mouth of the cuivre river where it dumps into the slough. It sure looked good. Big silted in area in the slough that was flooded over with a pretty good current and lots of logs. Dropped off to 18 ft deep toward the cuivre river mouth and had a nice current seam all right there rolled into one spot. Thought we'd hit something. Couldn't find any live bait. Water temp 50.1......could have been some flatheads in them logs???????

Not making excuses. We tried, we had fun, we got on the water and thats always good.

Not sure how safe the area is after dark. We arrived back at the ramp to underage party central.:eek:oooh: They were streaming in one after the other 40 miles an hour down the gravel road. Drinking beer to boot. All underage. :confused2:

To top it off PipeRat was trying to back the trailer in and they kept pulling in and parking right in the way. He had to snake the trailer all over the dam place just to hit the ramp. Kids nowadays are rude and disrespectful and don't think of anything but themselves it seems.

Had a similiar issue there last year when I tried to fish from the bank before I had a boat. The entire bank was clear and 4 jet skis with teenagers pulled right in front of me and beached their craft when I obviously had all of my poles and tackle drug to one spot and getting ready to cast. I said "Hey.....I'm trying to fish here. They acted oblivious to any wrondoing and said sorry like it never crossed their mind!:angry:

Ok, didn't mean to make this a gripe session, just tired of rude people on the water.

Did I say we had FUN!:big_smile:

11. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Man Skip, I thought the same thing. Where the Cuiver dumps in, there is a huge drop off, lots of trees submerged, and it paints a perfect picture!! I've fished that area only a few times but never caught anything there!!! Oh well, I'm sure someone has caught fish there!! :smile2:

12. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    An old friend of mine used to trot line there. He did well but I dont know how he did when it was as high as it is now. He passed away so I guess we are on our own to find those answers.

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Sorry to hear about that Skippy. If you ever go back and experience the same kind of problem, give St Charles County Sheriffs Department a call @ 636.949.0809 and they will gladly send a couple deputies out to chase off/arrest a few punks! :wink: Trust me, they like doing that kind of stuff!:wink::smile2:

The only time I was out there, I tried fishing that same spot! I had the same results that you did too!:big_smile:

I sure hope that the Maple Island ramp will be usable Sunday, I am dying to get out on the river.

14. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Gary i just came from CB boat ramp, the ramp is clear and the water is going down. We managed to put two fish in the boat on 21 pounder and a 4 pounder. Both were caught on shad.:big_smile:

15. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Skip, it’s always good to get out on the water. Chris Palombo pulled a couple of small flats out of that hole you spoke of. For bait, about a mile and a half down from the access is where peruque creek comes in, then there is bob’s creek about a mile and a half up past from the Cuirve (hint… good crappie spot). Chris would find bait behind the barges on the Il side up by the dam. Cuivre Island is a good spot for mushrooms and any time now with all this warm weather upon us should be good.

16. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Hey Bob I didn't think you had any friends you old fart..

17. catfishmaster24

catfishmaster24 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what do you catch over by cuivre island? also what do you use? I fished the creek off dalbow, caught some gar but was going for bullheads or carp.

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome to the BOC/USCA & Gateway Cats, Chris.

19. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    If you are fishing by the cuiver island acess you are actually fishing cuiver slough, you can catch anything there that you would catch on the main river, flats, blues, channels,mostly flats and channels, it isnt useable right now though.

20. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was down there yesterday bowfishing had to leave within a half hour there was current going over the road and i knew my car wouldnt make it if i stayed any longer