Gonna try Crappie and Bream

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by matt22va, Oct 12, 2009.

1. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I'm going to give Crappie and bream a try tomorrow. I've heard to float minnows deep and let them drift with the tide into the deep bends on the freshwater side of bushy park and you can catch bream and such. I was wandering if anyone had any advice for a newbie at this bream thing. I'm looking for the bigger warmouth, crappie, and redbreast. Any help would be appreciated as always.

2. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    You won't find any tide on the freshwater side of BP. You'll have to use the wind or the T motor. This time of year I would suggest slow trolling along the weeds under slip corks to locate the hot spots. If you can't find them on the edges try drifting out in the middle. More than likely you'll need to keep your baits right at the bottom, so be prepared for lots of hang ups.

3. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    If you are after crappie and bream, go right across the road from bushy to Goose creek reservoir. Its full of both. Any structure you can find will hold both this time of year. Good luck!

Steve

4. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Thank you guys for the info. I went out and didn't fair so well. One, very nice yellow perch is all I got. One bite one fish, one place i fished at the bream were hitting the top of the water around we near the weeds, but they didn't want my red wigglers or minnows. The freshwater side still gets some tidal move, but today it wasn't enough to overcome the wind unless you were in the channel that goes down by cypress gardens. Steve, I would love to fish goose creek resevoir, but I've got a 21 sea pro and I don't think I can put it in there, and when you say right across the road from bushy park, I don't know where to get into the resevoir around bushy park. I'm still looking for someone who would like to Crappie fish this fall on moultrie, let me know if your interested, keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm doing besides setting lights and dropping minnows.

5. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    You will have better luck with crickets for bream around that area.For crappie I would suggest minnows under a slip float where you cam modify the depth.They are hittin good in the reservoir.Guys are catchin up to 30
    a day.The trick there is to find the spot,because the crappie are gonna be tight up in one spot.For shellcrackers try wigglers on the bottom in ricefield openings.Good thing about rice field openings is you can fish a catfish rod out into the river as well.Try some herring deep while your catchin all the bream....

6. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Matt- I just spoke with my buddy that fishes out there at least twice a week. He has been finding them suspended out in the middle. He suggested the fresh water Gulp minnows made by Berkley. According to him they have been out fishing live minnows.

Anyone seen crappie of decent size coming out of the GCR? Everything I have seen has been really small for the most part.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Yes,alot of small ones,but some slabs as well.My friend has caught around 30 the last few times he has went.He fishes there all the time though and knows where to get em.He has caught some 2 lbers I have seen.The bream are bitin good also with some big ones caught lately.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I second what Danny said. A good friend fishes there for the crappie, and catches them in the middle; watches his sonar for them. Bream along the bank, fishing about 4-6' deep with crickets.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009