Gonna try catchin a buff this winter, need a little extra help

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catman529, Jan 1, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just reading through these other posts about buffs, and seems like they do bite during the winter, I never would have guessed that for buffs, but heres the thing: I fish in a creek, and the deep hole (might be up to 8 feet) is full of gar, buffalo, turtles and a few carp. During the summer is when I see them. I catch gar sometimes 3 times a week during the summer, but haven't been able to hook a carp or buff. There are way fewer carp than buffalo so the buffs are the ones I want.

If I get some dough bait mixed up, do I fish in the creek the same way as a lake or reservoir? There is a litle current so my line would drift slowly. I read that you need slack. Also the water is less-murky during the winter, almost looks greenish. The gar, turtles, carp and buffs are not showing up during the winter, that is easy to see why. But I know they're down there, so what is the best way to catch those mud suckers?

Thanks, tight lines

Catman

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    First thing, chum with range cubes for a couple days. This will bring ALL the buffs to one spot. if u have the time make burlap sacks about 15lbs filled with 50-50 mix of range cubes and sinking catfish food. Toss one of these in the hole and wait a couple days/.

Next thing, u need good bait. I target buffs after i get off work because i have good bait and i can catch a few big fish in an hour. Do u have a recipe for good dough bait?

I use Solar Green line so that in low light or lanturn situations i can see the slow pulls that buffs have.

On the current issue, a slow current will help you see the pulls and also keep some tension on the bait. It will bow ur line some but when u see it straighten a little get ready to set that hook really good.

Hope this helps, i will keep my eye on this post

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was gonna give you some reps, but gotta spread some around first.

great tips, I'm glad to know that current helps instead of worsens the fishing. I will try to get some chum out there, if I can get any. Thanks for the info.