gonna try bowfishing

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by stinkbaitman, Feb 21, 2008.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i realized i had an old bow layin in my room and thought id put it to use shooting carp in the creek. but i dont have the other special equipment for it.what would be the best stuff to get by means of quality and cost? cause i really dont have 140 bucks to spend on an ams kit.

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    One thing that I would make sure you do is to spend the money to get real fish arrows with a safety slide. These are much safer to use than modifiying a regular hunting arrow.

If you can not afford the nice AMS reel I would look inot getting a kit so that you can mount a regular fishing reel onto your bow, if you have a decent quality high capacity reel lying around.

If you do not already have a reel I would suggest looking around on ebay to find an AMS reel. They are really really nice and you can get in about 10 shots to 1 over the plastic drum type reels. You can pick up just the reel for around 70 bucks on ebay.

Also make sure that you use a really heavy line.(Mine is 130 lb nylon cord)

3. Roadkillwarrior

Roadkillwarrior New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is a good idea to use an old bow because it will go through some abuse become covered with blood and mud. I have used the cheaper kits but upgraded to the one you mentioned. The cheaper kits work but if you want to spend the money it is worth it for the better kit.

4. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    I shoot the AMS. One thing about buying thier kit is everything you need is in it. You get the reel, 2 arrows with safety slide [a must] and extra slides. The cord is high quality and shoots well. It's easy to set up and works great. Fast retrieve and a good way to store the line. I have the setup that has the built in quiver for the arrow. It's a great way to store the arrow and keep it safe. Some farm supply stores have bow fishing equip. if they sell hunting and fishing stuff.:wink:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never bowed fish but I heard it was fun

6. oklahoma caveman

oklahoma caveman New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    it is. especially after you stick a big gar or something an it starts towing you around

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Bow fishing is a blast. If you can afford the ames do it. It is worth the extra cost. I have used other types and never will use anything but the ames. Just dont fustrated by missing at first. It is a challange but one of the funnest times you will ever have.

Tom

8. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I used to do it when I was in my teens. We didnt have a reel tho....just shot em and jumped in the creek after them ....great summer fun. Ive thought about buying a bow fishing rig.....maybe I'll give it a try this summer also :wink:

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I see alot of guys out in the flooded fields doing almost every day coming home from work. Anyone see the video of the guys shooting the airborne asian carp as they jump up behind the boat? That's something there!:big_smile:

10. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri