Gonna start scouting location for Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fry Guy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Well I'm off for the next few days and it looks like it's gonna be in the mid to high 40's today and tommarrow so I'm gonna head out and do some scouting for some prime flathead waters for this spring. I think I'll take my poles with me and see if I can't catch some blues maybe(see if I can't scratch that itch a little bit:) )

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Fry Guy , I hear ya , Ill be going out today as well.:)

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    To bad you couldn't come up this way it looks like were only about an hour or so apart. Hopefully I can find some promising places.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    good idea to go now before it begins to run off and get depth/current. I have already froze my butt off a few times this year scouting/ checking depth.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have already been out and located some new spots...I cant wait till spring!

6. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I hear ya' flathunter. We are about to get a week of solid 40 degree weather. First time all year I think...

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A few weeks ago a friend and I did some coon hunting along the way we found a new hole for flatheads, I can't wait to get down there this spring.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Fry Guy...don't forget to check out those streams running into Truman down near Lincoln and Warsaw..saw some great places over there.:)

9. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i checked a couple of spots out a couple of weeks ago and got a sinus infection. Atleast i think i found some excellent Flathead areas, i cant wait for spring

10. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    So what exatly are you guys looking for? Maybe things are different in the north, down here in the south the rivers pretty much stay the same year round. I would like to try and catch some of those big ole rascals. Guess I will just have to do some experimenting. Any pointers would be great.

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm new to flathead but pretty much I'm just finding some spots that I can fish once the water starts warming up. It's been pretty cold here lately but hopefully things will start warming up soon so I can get a line wet and try out my new gear. I imagine in texas you can fish pretty much all year round:cool: (lucky).

12. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    alh,

On the Neches River, I have had the best succes catching bif ops in about 8 feet of water. I know where some holes are that are about 30 feet and they are really good blue cat holes but I catch most of the flatheads in shallow-er water. I like to set lines INSIDE of small log jams. Very short lines with about 4-5 hooks. I also set lines right above sand bars where the water slows down.

The 2 smaller ops in this picture were caught on a trotline in a log jam and the larger one was right about a sand bar.

[​IMG]

13. alh942

alh942 New Member

State:
    Sour Lake, Texas
    Thats some nice fish, sound like you know what you are doing. Hopefully I can take some lessons soon from you:)