gonna say this and duck

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by jerry9497, Mar 12, 2008.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Say someone else was luckey (skilled) enough to catch a fish like Radish in the 150-200lb class. and say that dirty scoundrel wanted to weigh that fish:embarassed: how or who would you take something like that to to get a certified weight.
    and what if you caught lets say a 90lb fish during the NCCATS tourny, when it is weighed is that weight certified? Livebaiter went through alot of trouble keeping fish alive until he could weigh. is there some place open 7 days a week?

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i would say u would have to get one of those livewells lik the ones some of these guys have made out of truck tool boxes to keep him going. I dont see why they would keep the record cat in a tank just to let it die??? Who's to say he is done reproducing???? Just like the 2 big cats caught last year @ the tournament, they are keeping them in the tanks too, why is it ok for them to do it just to let ppl watch them swim around in a tank, but not ok for someone to take their non-tournament catch out of a river and do their best to keep them alive so they can get it weighed @ certified scales????? Dont see how that works, but then again never happened to me though i hope it will someday & then & only then I can tell u how I would do it or tried to do it just my .02 cents worth but what do I know?

3. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina

Hey Will, I kept that fish alive so it could be released. It was released...

4. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I don't understand why so many folks would get themselves in an uproar but if I caught a fish like Radish's that would flirt with the world record or even the state record I am going to get it weighed and the public 'be damned'.

I would do my best to treat it gently and keep it alive! But another issue at hand (if a new world record) would be a possible payday of $100,000.00 or so. Sorry there too but I have a mortgage and a family like everyone else and don't think I would turn down that sort of money either. I suspect a lot of the same folks that were trashing Radish would have done the same thing if they had 100K staring them in the face too. Flame away if you wish.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would like to think that I would release it but, one never knows till he gets to that point in time. The money involved would be very tempting to alot of folks...Including myself!

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The scales we use at our tournaments are certified. It is easy to get this done. Contact the weights and measures people in your state and find out what it intales.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A lot of people may really get on me for this, but if I caught one that big it just might have to come to the dock one way or the other. But then again I can't say b/c I've never been in this situation. If I didn't have a camera it certainly would be taken somewhere to get photographed. I've maybe kept 8-10 catfish in the past 10yrs or so, I've done my part on the catch and release so I guess it would just come down to what I happen to choose at the time.

8. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Keeping a really big fish alive is very difficult! One of my best fishing buddies had this dealing. And at 3am on a week night what is one to do? He never took his fish out of the water and tried his best to get help. When he did the fish was taken to a local bait shop put into the bait tank but never recovered. He did receive the former VA sate record with the fish but nothing else to speak of other than having the fish aged , a little tackle, and reps of the fish put up at local bait shops. More less a hard time and a lot of jealousy but no $100,000.00. All I can say is be prepared!

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    to each their own i say. my grandad caught a 78 lb. flat out of pamona here in kansas. we ate on that for a while. i caught a 37 lb. flat ( PB ) last year and we ate it too. we's jus dum ol po folk i reckin because if we dont keep the freezer full of fish & game then we just dont eat much and thats all there is to it.

everyone else speaks their mind so i figger i will to. me personally, im tired of the cpr types commin down on the eaters. my damn fish so i'll eat that somebeech if i want and will do it no matter who's around and objects. i dont fish tournaments or wear a sponsor shirt, i cut grass for a livin and my sons and i kinda like to eat everyday. if Y2K meltdown would of happened would y'all still cpr so there would be the "right" amount of fish in the water ??

im done, thank you for reading this.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would venture to say it is their fish, not mine. So, I can keep my opinions to myself. To keep or not is the individuals choice, and I'll support that choice. Saying that, my preference is CPR - but that is my bag, not everyone else's.

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    In NC it has to be weighed on a certified scale.
    Any scale where something is sold by weight by law has to be certified.
    That includes scales in grocery stores, seed stores, fertilizer houses, truck scales, feed scales, tobacco scales, and right on down to the guy selling shrimp out of the back of his truck on the side of the road.

Also in NC along with the certified weight, it has to be verified by the powers that be in person.

Only thing I can tell is to know where certified scales are located and know if they are willing to put a fish on them and know how to get in contact with someone that can verify the catch.
    At any rate, if you plan on releasing the catch it would pay to have preperations in place to handle the situation.

I can tell you. Most of the places I fish, I'll probally take the hook out of him and roll him back in the water. It would be a real job to get a record fish out of there short of a helicopter with a rescue basket. Its work enough getting in there with a decent supply of beer and a box of fried chicken.

12. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    A 125+ lb. fish is quite near the end of it's life cycle, not the end but near. If it didn't make it in wouldn't be a travesty as far as reproduction is concerned. I turn loose all big fish and only keep fish I know won't make it, stripers, cats, whatever. When I eat a fish, it ain't ever seen a freezer, but I fish a lot.

As far as keeping everything I catch here's the way I look at it: If I were fishing for food I am already losing money. Gas for the boat and truck, rods, reels, hooks, weights, boat payment and ins. etc.. Time away from work or time fishing I could be working and making money. I could eat like a king w/o all those expenses and added income. Kinda like the deer hunter who takes off a week of work to hunt and when it's all said and done that deer has to cost 20 bucks a pound or more, expensive meat if you ask me. To each their own, however those big pigs are the fish that are generating the most eggs and repopulating the waters we love to fish, the old two edged sword. I'm not trying to convert anybody it's just my take on it.

13. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,