Gonna hit the small time !

Discussion in 'TOURNAMENT TALK' started by playin4funami, Oct 12, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Hey,guys! Well I've finally found a catfishin' partner that is as crazy as me about catfishing! So next year we want to hit the most tourneys we can within X-miles of our area. Most all of these will be small time tourneys,so unless we really rock the house and qualify for some bigger events we shouldn't worry any of the pro's yet. We'll start out with my beat-up old ranger 178 pro-v boat,unless I buy a different ride before then. What I was wondering about is can you guys give us any tips,hints,and other info that will keep us from embarrasing ourselves any more than we'll already do. Stuff like what equipment and what different items you all find indespendsible while at a tournament,you know the handy stuff that although not always nessasary can make the day or night alot more productive and/or enjoyable. what things would you not fish without? I know this sounds odd but just looking for things we might overlook so I can make a checklist. Not asking for anyones secrets or anything. Help a brother out! thanks

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Good luck Don an hope you catch some real nice ones. Kinda cold here in Ohio but the saugeyes are starting to hit real well here now.

3. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Hey,good luck with the saugeyes,it's been a long time since I fished southern Ohio,I fished for saugeyes right near franklin furnace Ohio once along time ago,don't even remember if I caught any or what river it was,I think I caught a couple though. Thats the part I miss about traveling for a living,the fishing all over the nation!

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    the most important thing is never let it become work . the rest will be easy . good luck and if you need anything i can help with i am here.

5. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    dinger 66, thanks man for the offer of help,I don't know how it could be considered work,but I'm sure it could happen if we put too much into it. right now it's just to up the fun level of our fishing! see if we got what it takes to compete with the big boys:wink:

6. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    Don,
    Just remember to keep the fun into it. If you start getting stressed or worring about an event then it's time to let it go. Remeber the roots that got you where your at and where you want to be...Keep the Fun in it!

A good depth finder would be an absolute for me along with a good map of the area you plan to fish the most. Keep all your notes on the map where you caught fish and what the water was doing when you did.

Good reliable equipment means a lot also. Some good rod and reels that you hope don't fail. I have been in that boat before when the euipment fails and you will always live with the what if!!

A good live well system to keep the fish alive all times of there year reguardless what the temp is.

One thing to remember to be the best you have to practice to be the best! What I mean by that is time on the water means a lot. It's very hard to just go and fish tournaments without being on that body of water a little to have a game plan.

A game plan, and don't change it!!!!!! Make sure you establish a plan before you launch and stick with it. Don't let people at the ramp that morning change your game plan from what you hear. There will be people there telling all kinds of stories and you can't believe half of them. Stick with it.

Lastly, turn a bad tournament into something good. What I mean by this is a good old fashion butt kicken can be good at times. Always leave the water with more knowledge. Don't dwell on the bad stuff "GET OVER IT" and think positive to the future.

Hope this all helps and let me know if you need anything else at all!!!:wink:

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

7. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i would take into consideration east tourny as it draws near. what time of year. what fish are you targeting. then i would put together my tourney gear. dont take everything. i made the mistake in takin to much gear once and it was just too much. so the next one i planned a little better cause i new what to expect. baits are inportant. i take a cast net and trap with me and show up a day early to scout and bait up. i also take some frozen just in case. if i end up catchin fresh bait, i'll use the frozen in a chum bag that i'll drop off the side of the boat, or drop it on a hole with a marker bouy and come back to fish hour or two later. i also pack a small survival pack. nothing bulky, just a first aid kit, two way radio, flares, oh and a fire extinguster. as for tackle and things of that nature,it depends on conditions and what im targeting. most important, start u a list early, then fill it. nothing sucks worst than gettin out there and realize you forgot something. but keep it simple, dont overload yourself.

8. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Geez Don, that is exciting that you are gonna start wit the tournament stuff. I am hopin my GF & I will be able to do that some day...good luck and have fun :cool2:

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    thanks for all the replys so far everyone,I appeciate the help and knowledge,keep it coming! every little bit helps!

10. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    the one thing i learned from the guy i fish our tournaments with..... always take night crawlers.. sounds kinda stupid to some but this year alot of the fish we caught during our tournaments was fishing shallow with crawlers.... i like to look at google earth before ii go to one and plan on what way i go... i think that helped us at one this year at indian cave park.. we have always gone up river but i studied google eath and found out there was alot more dikes down river than up river (found some killer night time spots ).. don't know how far you want to drive but there are some good tournaments here in nebraska there is only one club for the river but there are a couple that fish lakes......

11. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    my partner and i are gonna fish a lot of tournaments this year. we fished a few small tourneys last year and never won, but usually finished in the top 1/3. we learned that bait is the most important thing. take some frozen bait with you. there will be times you cannot catch fresh bait the day before the tournament. be flexable. if the fish are not where you know how to fish best, learn to drift or how to fish several different ways. if you are fishing where there are a lot of channelcats take some prepared bait. you will not win the bluecat tournaments, but you will do plenty good on the channels. i use lewis kings select punch bait.

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    matt in most tournaments that i fish you can not chum before or while your fishing you cant bait holes so if you are doing this you will be disqualified why its chetting the roundhill:smile2::smile2::angry:

13. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Never fished a cat tourney, but have fished ALOT of basss tourneys. I agree with Jeremy that it has to be fun. I had the most fun when we had pre-fished and had a solid plan. Just showin up and hopin for the best seldom cut it. I also agree don't fall victim to the bait shop talk and don't pay attention to what the guys at the ramp had tied on. What they probably threw was in a rod box outta site. If ya only have 1 zebco 33, make certain it is workin good and has good line on it. And the last bit of advice i mite add is don't get discouraged and quit. One of the best checks I ever drew came the last 30 minutes of the day. Up till then had 1 keeper fish in the boat but we kept movin and looking till we found a rockpile covered with nice smallmouth. It ain't over till the weigh-in. Good luck and keep us posted.

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Great Post and responces. I appreciate all the advise being given. Only thing I can add is use those MONSTER ROD HOLDERS!​