Gonna have to "Get a rope" for a mechanic

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Jun 4, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, took the boat out for the first time this weekend. Everything that I did myself *(aka rewiring the lights, trolling motor, and bilge pump)* worked GREAT!!! Heck, trolled all over the place on on the battery on one charge. No coach, I wasn't pulling ants on water ski's. Twas just the only way to get around on the boat.

Took boat off trailer Friday night. It would idle slowly, but, when trying to shift into gear, would die. Ok, so, I learned let it idle at high idle for a few mins, then drop to slow idle, take it out of neutral, and quickly shift into forward or reverse.

Took it out on the lake, man, it was soo cool to by flying along in a boat that you know is YOURS.

Didn't get jugs ready, or bait, Friday night, waited until Sat. Morning.

Took boat out saturday morning, put out jugs, no problem.

Took kids out tubing, here comes the problem. Switched to new gas tank.
    The mechanic had told me to use a 50:1 ratio. That would be 16 oz to 6 gallons of gas. Always for Joe's boat, we use 1 quart to 6 gallons. Bought a quart sized bottle, it didn't say how many ounces it was. I guessed it was 16, WRONG. Anyway, we went and checked our jugs again, no bait missing, no fish. On the way back to camp, the boat just slowed itself way down. I had it full throttle, and we were going slower than most of the other boats go through a no wake zone. Turned out, I fouled my plugs.

Cleaned the plugs, (one of the plugs looked like it had been dropped before it was put in as there was NO gap) got three gallons of fresh gas, added 3 gallons of the oil rich gas to the fresh gas. It would start at fast idle, and die when you tried to slow it down.

Dafin came down and took a look at the boat. He found that the carb bowls were leaking. Now, they supposedly rebuilt the carbs when I had it at the mechanics. Dale, I owe ya one buddy!!!

Long story short, my boat didn't run right. We fought with it almost all weekend. I am taking the boat back to the repair shop tomorrow and asking either for my money back, or for the boat to be repaired correctly. Either that, or I'm gonna have to "get a rope" like the Pace salsa commercials.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Tony, good luck. "New York City" Hope they fix it right brother.

3. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry you had all those problems. Its hard to trust shops these days. I hope it all works out but I say keep the rope handy. Lots of shops do the crawfish act.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Tony, take it back and tell em to reboot the carbs or they'll get the boot. LOL

5. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

I was thinkin bout that, but, figured since I wouldn't be at work tomorrow, telling them to reboot would be too much like working!!!!

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well them give em a boot.
    I sure hope you get r done and they do you right.

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, took the boat back to the shop today. The owner of the shop had me take it/him to the lake and tried it out. Well, he determined that yes, there was something wrong with it. At first he tried to say that the bowls of the carbs weren't leaking either. Went back to the shop, he pulled out the spark plugs and ran a compression check. Bottom 160, middle 150, top 50. Woops, there is a problem there. Pulled the head off and the piston was shot and the cylinder was scratched.

He then proceded to tell me that it happened sometime this weekend because his mechanic checked it out and it worked fine. He said that even though I was having problems with it from the moment I unloaded it, since I didn't bring it back to him, and tried to work with it, or around the shifting problem, that I am what caused it to be blown and that they would not give me any money back, or repair it at no charge.

Needless to say, I was/am very ticked off!!!!

Now, I have a giant doorstop on the back of my boat.

8. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Tony, I'm sorry to hear the boat crapped out. Thats a shame. Perhaps Small claims court? I dunno, but I dont think i would take that sittin down. On the other hand he kinda has you, by letting him know you dinked around with it, gives him the advantage.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well that is what sucks about todays business. I think Tony is an honest person and I bet the shop owner thinks that too but they be sticking it to him on this one way I see it. Dang knot heads. I've been there done that with boat shops and I will give em a bad rep. Some "Goober" head working on a boat charging hi dollar and didn't get r done.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Your boat sounds like my car. Sorry to hear about your luck. I would take it to another mechanic and let him check it out and see what he says. Might give you some ammo for the first guy in court, but i wouldn't let him touch it again. I am fighting two car dealers over my car. the one i bought it from and the one i took it to ,to be fixed. this is a real mess.

11. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Personally I think this guy checked it out, knew it was only running on 2 of the 3 cylanders, and decided that since I was new to owning a boat, that I wouldn't know any better and that he could stick it to me. Well, looks like he was right.

It will idle, I may try and sell it to a salvage yard. The one here said if it'll start, he'll buy it for $200. Know a guy who has a 50 hp evinrude for $250. 50 hp should still be enough to get my boat up and running.

Either that or I will try and sell the boat. Don't know yet.

12. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Tony,

Man I hate to hear all the bad news Brother. You were trying so hard to get out on the water. Sound's like the Mechanic might have been a touch wishy washy to me.

That 50hp you were taling about will push your boat ok. Don't think your gonna brake any speeds records though..lol.

If someone is willing to pay 200.00 if it will start, sell it quick..lol.

Good luck with the other Motor...

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    T ony sorry for your set back but let it be a lesson learned.
    Never buy a boat motor without a compression ck. Get a trial run if possible. If a motor has been used and a person says the carbs need adjusting or it ran good last time out 2 years ago then do a compression ck and if good the start lowering the price.
    There is nothing worse or harder on a 2 stroke then setting up and not running if not stored properly.

If you like the boat then get you another motor but remember when you change over to the evenrude you mentioned you will have to have all the controls to. steering,shifter and all. Tach as well.

14. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    Well, Tony, if it will help you feel better, Galen (brownie) left his boat with me when he went back home to Bartlesville. I went to take it out to check my jugs . Pushed off and went to start it. Nothing. Disconnected linkage to trans, fired it off, ran but real rough. Wouldn't idle at all. Ended up getting a tow back to the dock, tied up, and a hard south wind started blowing. Decided to try and load the boat by hand and cast off the dock. Within seconds, I overshot the ramp! Tyler, Calvin's son, jumped in and grabbed the rope and pulled me back to the ramp and we got it on the trailer. I'll be taking the boat back to B'ville some time this week.
    Thanks for a great time!!!!

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Geez, and the bad luck I had... not even catching one fish - compared to your problems, I am lucky. Hope everything works out for you Tony. It is a bummer.

16. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    I have to agree with bubba on this one, i already had this learning experiance, I didn't take the boat for a ride before i bought it. had nutting but troubles with that engine, finally i bought a diffrent motor for it and "knock on wood" i haven't had a lick of problems with it. now the brand new merc i bought with the tracker it's a cold blooded parden the pun "boat ancor" hope you have better luck with the rude and sorry for your luck.