Gonna give it a whirl

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dieselcat, Aug 14, 2009.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    A friend and i are going out tonight,as a matter of fact here in about 30-45 min.Anyway we are going somewhere down from Washington not sure where,guess whatever looks good.Sure hope he or i get a pig tonight!wish us luck and good luck to anyone else who's going tonight.:big_smile:

2. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Good luck. I wanted to head to Gasconade City or Bonnots Mill tonight, but we gotta get up early for a float trip on the Maramec tomorrow so I didn't go. I've gotta break this bad luck streak I've had....well I guess all summer. :smile2:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good luck.. be sure to let us know how you did. Stay safe out there bro.

4. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    well we got skunked again,this is really getting old.can't understand why i can't find these damn fish.

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    are you in a boat or on a bank? what is the bait your using? how are you setting up your rod?

its been tough from the bank this season. most of my decent sized fish have been comming from deeper areas at night. find bank spots that put you closer to the main channel.

i have had some luck by carrying a bunch of small bags of different baits, and not leaving a spot till i have tried them all. so far large presentations of skip and asian have worked allright for me. followed very closely by larger live perch and larger live goldfish, not just for flats but the blues aswell.

i set up break-a-way rigs and have been having decent bites when i fish 12 to 24 inches off the bottom. i fish mostly missouri and missi rivers, and i try and locate some current seams off wing dykes or other current breaks.

6. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I'm fishing from a boat.I have used asian,skipps,mooneye,and shad.I am fishing the same waters where i trotline and knock the hell outa 50lb + fish.I know there are fish there cause i've been fishing in the same spots for 8+ years with trotlines and it's basicaly the same every year,1 big blue after another.Only thing i'm doing different is useing cut bait.when i trotline i use bluegill and only bluegill.

7. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    well if your getting them on your trotlines and not getting them when your fish rod and reel it sounds like you have your trotlines setup where they are, or at least where they forage.
    i have fished places where i trotlined or jug lined and found that the bites come slow or not at all. my theory is that the trotline is setup in a place that catfish are more than likely gonna pass when foraging EVENTUALLY, but as a place to fish with a rod it sucks because they actually arent holding there, they just pass through. seems like that is whats going on with your setup.
    your are getting them on lines that can be there 24 hours. that gives them alot of time to find a fighting perch. i doubt your sitting in one place with a rod for 24 hours. just because your getting them on a trot line dosent mean you have got the line where they are, just where they will be.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

Huh, weird you're not catching fish . . . . . . .:roll_eyes:

9. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    Big suprise huh...

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Huh,yep kinda wierd aint it?there is a lot of things i'd like to say to you,but i like spending time on here so i wont,BSK or whatever your name is!:roll_eyes:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  11. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Makes since,guess ill try fishing these spots at a different time.allthough my biggest fish was caught there durring the day,i have caught more big fish in numbers at night on the trot lines.2 years ago i had a heck of a run in the morning.caught a 72,70,56,48 and a 44 all in 1 run,but on 2 lines,33 hooks total.only time i ever had like that!anyways like i said,i know the big boys atleast go through there so next time i go out i'm gonna try soaking in this spot from like 3 am till ? and maybe ill catch that hog i've been after.when and if i do, it will be CPR while rod and reeling.i trotline for the fun and food and rod fish for fun only.:wink:

12. 1elkhunter

1elkhunter New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Mo
    Would like to know how the change works for you, we seem to be having similar problems. Dont know whether anyone else has been fishing as much as I have lately but sure haven't been catching many fish.

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I know I was a smarta$$ about it, but just sayin' that every one that's gone is one less to catch on rod and reel, that's all :wink: You'll get back on them before too long, I'm sure.

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They just shut down around tue of last week in the MO river. I got nuthen but a lil 5 lb blue and a big channel and some dinks fri and sat night. This rain ought to get em feeden if it dropps the water temp a lil. I fish from dark till 11 to 3 am targeting isolated wing dikes with notches and 200 yards of flat ahead and below it. Or fish the end dike in a box set with notches with current commen in good, in the strait away commen out of a inside bend with a nice flat behind it. Look for a deep slot with current commen out of the notch next to the bank with a rock bank and a back wash to the notch behind the dike. Park @ the end of the notch put a few rods in the hot water @ the tip one out on the bar and 2 to 3 in the back flow to the notch. Then sit like a stone they will bite. It ant a numbers spot but produces monsters. If ya want nummbers fish shad guts or stink ick bait around the mudd banks with flow and timber.

15. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I'm not after #'s,I'm after monsters so whatever it takes to get the biguns is what I'm gonna try and do.I know everyone catches fish in all types of diff places,shallow,deep,fast and slow current,cut bait,live bait.I've tried it all with little or no luck.

And yes Brandon,you were a smart a$$,but it's gonna take alot for me to agree with anyone bout keeping big fish and it clearing out the waters of biguns.IMO it's not any different than everyone who says they only keep em 5-25lbs,those fish will never get the chance to reach 50+lbs,plus for arguments sake lets say i keep 1 50lb fish,i get about 4 gallons of clean fish.i only took 1 fish out of the river vs your 5 10 lbrs which you'd be lucky to get 2 gallons of clean fish,so i got more meat than you and i only killed 1 fish that someone will never be able to catch again vs your 5.

Anyway I'm not trying to start an argument just voicing my Opinion.

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    No problem, not looking for an argument either, but I look at it the other way. I pretty much only fish for big fish, too, so I hate to reduce my chances of catching one by killing one, that's all. They've already made it to that size so I'd rather let it go than hope that a 10 pounder will a. live long enough to get that big and b. have the genetics to get that big if it does live long enough.

But I don't eat that much fish, either, so it's not that big of a deal to me to turn one back. I think I've cleaned 3 small channel cats all year:smile2: Now if we were talking catching trophy black angus cattle I might have to change my tune:smile2:

17. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    LOL,trophy black angus cattle....lmao
    I don't eat a great deal of fish either and i'm sure most will agree when i say,that when i do trotline i gotta get something for my money cause aint nothin about it cheap!especially if you go figuring in all your equiptment, gas and oil ect.........
    yes i do keep a few big fish and hardly any small ones but as i said before if they arn't 40+ to me they aint worth getting my knives dirty,just isn't enough meat on the smaller ones.Heck the biggest fish we ever caught we cpr'd it cause i thought it was the coolest fish we ever caught and i just couldn't kill it. 81lb albino.like i said before,if and when i do catch a pig on the fishing pole,it will go back in the water and not in the freezer.

Good luck brother,
    Shane

18. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri

Are you keeping all of these big fish??? If so, That is probably why you arent catching fish in your spots. I have a spot I use to catch nice blues on all of the time and take fish out of that particular area in tournaments of coarse so I could weigh them in ( they were released, but not back into the same water). Now I have had a hard time catching anything there! I know blues travel, but I think that might have something to do with it, if you keep all of them.

19. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Let me see if I understand this right.
    1. You don't eat much fish.
    2. Little fish do not have enough meat on them to worth your time to skin.
    So you like a lot of meat even though you do not eat a lot. Sounds dumb to me.
    Man I would hate to figure how much money each fish cost me I release. If your complaining how much you spend on oil and gas. Maybe you should get a 4 stroke. :big_smile:

20. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I said i don't eat a great deal of fish.No i don't eat fish every day but i eat it a couple days a week which i don't consider a GREAT DEAL OF and most the fish we keep is for fish frys.also was not complaining 1 bit bout how much gas i use,i said if you go figuring what it cost to fish i might as well get my moneys worth.And no little fish aint worth my time.unless i'm hard up for fish if it's not 40lb back in the water it goes,and really it's none of your concern as long as what i'm doing is LEGAL,we don't go over our limit havn't ever needed to worry bout limit 3 or 4 40-70lb fish is plenty of meat.
    You know, all you guys do when you go complaining about someone else's way of doing things and getting all tree huggish bout things,is piss em off then their just gonna do more of it to spite you.all i did was give a fishing report from when i went fishing and everyone has to be a smart a$$ when i start talking bout how i always catch big fish there on trots but not on the reel and rod.Keeping fish aint got a damn thing to do with why im not catching fish.
    I believe it's a main forage area for em like 1 of the other guys had said in an earlier post.because it's not only me that has been fishing there for years,i know a guy who has been fishing it for prolly 20 years and every year its the same.
    If i wanted to catch big fish just to catch and eat i'd have a line out now and wouldn't be pole fishing and i'd be catching fish,no doubt about it.
    I just think it's BS how the trotliners,juggers,ect..... always get made out to be the bad guys and frankly i don't give a crap about your opinion.

Good luck to all!