Gonna give 'em a whirl in the morning

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    According to the chart projection, the river should be PERFECT. I didn't find the bait until right before dark. It got dark on me before I could fill my well. I have 4 very small bass, a small warmoth, two small bream, and one flyer bream, and one dead bream that got gill hooked. I sent the guy that's going with me to the grocery store for a slab of beef liver. We'll hit the river before daylight, and try both baits. We can catch plenty of bream on the river, but I don't want to waste valuable catfishin' time catchin' bait. Probably just do a half day tomorrow as I have work to do at the sign shop.
    BB in SC

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Bill, good luck in the morning. Hope ya get a PB :cool2:.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! I just hope I catch a fish!
    BB

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Good luck to you Bill, hope you catch a monster flat. :wink: Looking forword to your pictures and a great story.

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Knock em dead Bill.:wink:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill were waiting on your fishing results.:smile2:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    LOL! NOT much to report. Water temp still at 71.5. Fished from before day until after dark. Used bream, bream heads, beef liver, and shrimp. Caught one tiny channel on the liver, and another tiny channel on a tiny piece of shrimp we were bream fishin' for bait with. The lack of the bite is crazy. It was a beautiful overcast day with the river on a slow rise. Seriously, I'm not going back until it cools down some,. Had a great time otherwise!
    Bill in SC

8. Flattiestalker

Flattiestalker New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've picked up some flatties in unlikely spots in my river lately Bill.
    and with only about a 15 minute bite time. (starting @ 8:30pm give or take 5 minutes) knowing that time, and being there and being settled in and quiet is the key for me here- I'll usually get one or two the first stop. Catching fish after that 15 minutes is a whole lotta hard work right now... creeping up on undercut bank scours with logjams that I have scouted out earlier and fishing CLOSE to the snags-giving each one about 15 minutes or so before moving out to another,, I might get another one or two flatheads before giving up around 10 or 11 pm.

It's easy for me to do this because I'm using just a small 10' jon and a trolling motor to hop from place to place- NO lights, NO noise.
    A bright moon KILLS the flattie fishing now unless I fish where the light from it is completely blocked.
    If I splash the anchor or drop a sinker in the boat, I may as well go on to the next spot.
    You know before, I was having bad nights, but, doing these things helped ALOT. I'm only fishing for flatheads... and they're super sensitive in my parts. More then I ever remember them being.
    Like I said, I only fish for flatheads... no blues close around me here.
    I have noted that the channels and turtles that relentlessly pester my bait, seemed to have gone extinct the last few weeks!
    BTW, the water here is still 70 give or take a couple degrees on some nights. Tonight it was 72. I know there's a huge difference in river and environment that we fish...