Gong camping and crappie fishin this weekend

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by jason berry, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I camped last weekend and crappie fished with bad results it was really windy and water temp was 73.6 at patoka lake. I caught no crappie.But from what I heard last weekend around this area was bad for alot of people. Going out this weekend to Patoka to try again. Weve had a cold front come in and the highs have been around 70 degrees this should put the water temp at the right temp. Spent alot of money getting ready even though I didnt need to just started seein stuff I liked and buyin it. I also bought a map of the lake and marked the crappie spots goin prepared this time. I hope I do well.

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey good luck this weekend/ let us know how you did because i like to fish that lake sometimes. just make sure not to be afraid to get your boat up in all of the stumps. a lot of people are scared to get too deep in there and dont do well. all my best crappie fishing comes from up deep in the stumps where everyone else is afraid to go. just look at our boat and you can tell we arent afraid with all of the scratches on it from that lake

3. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    good luck, I hope you slay them.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Went out Friday evening and didnt catch any crappie water temp of 72 and then went out in the morning to different spot of Patoka with deeper water around, and caught 5 that morning water temp was around 69 went back to same spot in heavy timber and caught seven. Im not a happy camper now so started going all over the lake using a map because crappie were not shallow in standing timber yet and if you did catch them around timber they were holding 14 to 21 feet. So then I started fishing off of points and drop-offs on the edge of coves in 22-30 feet deep water using slipbobbers around 14-20 feet deep and caught around 75. I slayed them to bad it was on Sunday didnt take any pictures my nicest ones were only around 10 1/2 or 11 inches long. Patoka has a very large number of small crappie but it was fun though and I got my limit of crappie. Just to bad I wasnt doing it all weekend.

5. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Congrats brother.. Sounds like you had a good time, maybe you should go and cut down some small trees and drop them in the lake and make your own honey spot.

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I looked all over that lake for submerged brush because I knew thats where they would be holding. I was telling my buddy if I lived closer I would have a few of them in different spots.