Gone!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishinpals, Jul 23, 2006.

1. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We have a small lake just outside of town that you used to be able to go to and catch 50 bullheads without any trouble and that were nice eating size. In the past 5 years I haven't caught but 2 and don't know anyone who has caught more than that. You can catch all the channel you want (they do have a limit of 6). Have the channel taken over? Just wondering were the bullhead went.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like those bullheads are feeding the channel cats. That is probebly why the Channel cats are so abundant in there now. Heck start eating channel cats and maybe the bullhead population will come back a little, LOL!!

3. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you said 50 bullheads, how many people do you think it would take to wipe out the bullheads at that rate. My guess is you ate all the bullheads, well I'm sure you had help. A lake can be very different from a river.

4. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Looks like you are going to have to stick to channel cats. I don't see that being all bad though. 50 of any fish is a lot to take in a day without making a big impact on the population. Especially a small one. Maybe if you eat enough of the channels then you will catch some more bullheads.

5. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    The lake is seventeen acres and has been there for at least 60 years and probably only a dozen or so fished the lake on a regular basis (at least once a week). Don't really think it got fished out. We ahve smaller ponds around that have been fished for many years for bullheads and there is still plenty of them there. Carp have also invaded the lake by someone throwing them in. Could they be the culprit by destroying the spawn.

6. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Would rather have the channels but was just wondering about the bullhead.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    In my experience it is hard to keep a good population of bull heads in a small lake. they become the forage or get fished out quickly. I have part of a 1/2 acre strip pit on my property It is only about 6 ft deep. It had a good population of bluegill and bullheads. MY neighbor stocked bass and crappies into the lake, after about 2 years there wasn't a bullhead to be found. Only after severe winter and the lake freezing out could I get the bullhead population back. I like to have bullheads in thas lake as it is close to the cabin, my grandkids can fish it easily.
    Yes the channels and fishing pressure will hurt bullhead populations in a very short time.

8. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    Man we need to really hook up sometime. Sounds like you know quite a few holes around this area that I need to check out. where is this one located? Thanks for all the local tips.

9. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    I think that Tyler may be ready for a small road trip down this way as well. Maybe we can work something out some weekend.

10. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There's a lake close to me that was also full of bullheads. The state stocked channels in there 20 years ago and now you're lucky to catch any bullheads. I did manage to catch one Friday night that weighed maybe 1 lb. I think the channel population has aot to do with this. The lake here is alot bigger than the one you are refering to being 120 acres.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like over harvesting and the channels eating the bullheads.

People seem to think they can go in a fish a place and keep everything they catch and somehow the place will just keep replenishing itself. Anytime you are harvesting a lot of fish of the same species and size you should be careful becasue you will wipe out an entire year class of fish.

Catfish are not a species that has a high harvest rate like crappie. Ponds are even harder because they generally do not have the diversity to sustain a high reproduction rate.

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    I am going to have to go with the other people on here. I think the channels and carp may have decided the bullheads were a nice little treat. I have noticed that bullheads seem to do better in creeks and rivers than they do in ponds and things. The same thing as this happened with the pond behind my house and the channel cats. The guy that used to own it stocked it with channel cats, bass, and crappies. After he stopped stocking it (probably close to 15-20 years ago) I think the cats must have died out, because I havent caught a one in the hundreds of times I went out there.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    corporate downsizing... al the bullheads got terminated. lol

14. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Thanks guys for your replies. Think you all have given good ideas on what has happened.

15. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    You caught a monster. Most are around a pound or less.

16. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    probably the catfish ate the bullheads. sometimes they are introduced to keep the bullhead population in check. i'm sure they eat more bullhead on a regular basis than fishermen takin a limit once in awhile.

17. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    If there are any bass in this pond then they too will play a big role in the bullheads going away. Down here where I live the only ponds that will have bullhead are the ones that bass do not live in. I spend alot of time moving fish around to keep bait in certain ponds. I will catch every bass I can out of a pond before I will put bait fish in to it. I will catch bullheads only in very small ditches or small ponds that dry up in the summer, the ones that bass can not live. I'm sure the channels are eating them too as do many other fish. Bullheads or mudcat as we call them are a very good bait so the fact that they are all gone might be showing you that you have alot of fish in the pond.

18. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    The bullheads being the smaller than the channel cats would become one of their food sources.