Gone (walleye) Fishin...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Heading out in a couple of hours for NW Ontario for a week of walleye, pike and muskie fishing with my dad, brother and brother-in-law. If we can manage to avoid killing each other, it ought to be a pretty good time!

See you all in about 8 or 9 days! I'll have plenty of pictures when I get back.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Lets see I landed 6 walleye's tonight on the lake I live on. Biggest was 23 inches smallest around 14 inches. Not to bad for couple hours. Bass started bitting once it got dark but no lights on the boat so had to quit.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Just got back, had a great time, didn't catch as many walleye as I thought we would. Saw some beautiful country and fished for better than 12 hours every day for 6 days straight. Don't know how you could beat that!

Big fish was a 38" northern that I caught while trolling on the second day. We got into a quite few 20-26" walleye and ended up bringing our limit home as well as some smallmouth bass.

Looks like I'll be busy for a while trying to catch up on the board -- 13,258 posts since my last visit. Ugh...

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a good time. Everyone should experience fishing a remote Canadian lake once. Don't know if I'll ever make it back, but when I went 2-3 years ago it was a great trip! Let me know when you're ready to hit the river, going this afternoon with a buddy but tomorrow is open(I know you've probably got catching up to do). I'll probably be on the water by 6a.m. Just let me know when you want to go.

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    I was up there some years ago and the smallmouth bite was awesome. Where's the pictures Marty?

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    We caught more northern pike than anything else, had a hard time finding the walleye consistently and it seemed everybody else was having trouble as well. First time I ever fished for walleye so really didn't have a clue.

Found the northerns easy to catch and a lot of fun if you can get past the teeth. The first picture is the big fish of the trip - 38" northern caught trolling a hump out in the middle of the lake. Tried to CPR him but he was already weak when we caught him - had a huge chunk missing from his back from something much larger having a go at him - ended up having to bring him back and clean him since he was dying. Turns out these things have teeth just about everywhere - I tried to pick him up under the gill plate and my fingers slipped - he ripped 3 fingers on my hand and they bled for nearly an hour. Big fun!

The second picture is the result of one good afternoon of trolling a bottom bouncer with nightcrawlers - we had several more big ones that had to be released but kept these guys for the freezer. Biggest here was 25" - mine was 24" and quite a fighter.

Thanks for the invite Doug but I'm grounded for a few days getting caught up around the house. Might be able to swing something next weekend though I think my calendar is pretty full already. I'll send you a PM once I figure out the schedule.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nice catch you have there in the pics. Looks like you had a great time. Never have been lucky enough to make a trip to Canada.

8. thomas feldon

thomas feldon New Member

State:
    Farmington, MO.
    Know what you mean Bro!, Born and raised up in NY. 35 mile's from lake Erie. Northern's are good and the muskie are awesome. Miss the ice fishing also, but not the snow. I love the perch and trout fishing. And eating them.
    OH well, have to settle for the awesome Blue cat's and Flathead's here in Missouri now. Fair trade off I'd say. :cool2: .Anyway it's warmer here:tounge_out: .
    Can't deniegh you had a good time getting thing's with teeth, even if they bite back HUH? Cooler water fishing has a draw all to it's own doesn't it?
    If you hit it right it's awesome up north.
    Plan on taking some of these Missouri boy's up there to sample the good thing's of the " Yankee fishing water's. " Bet they'd be supprised at the fight they get from them " yankee " fish:lol: . Hope to be able to hit it in april next year, and show them what earning the fish you caught is about.
    They sure do taste good when you have to work for em, no matter how small they are. As long as they are in legal limit.:0010: . Still taste good anyway!