Gone Catfishing on the James River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by jwfish, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    My daughter and me are heading down from Ohio again to get some of them big blues in the James from the 11 November till the 17 if any of you BOC members are out stop and say HI.I have a 18 foot tan fisher with a parrot on the side holding a cane pole and keeta girl wrote on the side.See ya on the river Jerry.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'll be out there Sunday 11/11. I'll keep an eye out for you. Good luck on your trip. Hope you catch some monsters! I wish I had 6 days in a row to fish!

3. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I will be going out with a guide out of jordon point on 11/13/07. I am from NC and trying to learn the river..... I hear there are some big cats in there. I used to go to Santee but no water in the lakes this year...

4. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    BlackSheep...always curious.....which guide did you choose??

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    JW, saw you out there Sunday, we exchanged waves. Passed by you that morning anchored in front of the plant. And later on I think I saw you in Flowerdew. Looking forward to a good report.

6. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Josh...How did you make out??

Jerry

7. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Mr. Skunk climbed aboard and refused to get off!

I guess it's to be expected since my last two trips were really good.

I'll get 'em in two weeks when I go again.

8. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I went out with the guide on 11/13/07. We caught 12 fish with a total weight of 441lbs. 21-23-26-27-28-38-38-40-43-45-51-61lbs........

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    One heck of a day!!!!

Must...
    see...
    PICS...!

10. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    We fished up river in the morning on a falling tide. (channel edges) Then way down river to get back into moving water. (rising tide) (channel edges)

11. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks Alan for the great report. Yep sounds like you had one heck of a fishing trip. I'll make a report on my guided trip the end of next week...I could only hope we do near as well. Did you take any pics???

Take care and again thanks for the report....

Jerry

12. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Hey Josh....do us all a favor and keep the skunk....lol....

Hey man hope you have much better luck your next time out!!

13. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I took pictures of the 38, 38, 43, 45, 51, and the 61 which was in the dark (6pm)

14. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Hey guys just got back today but we had a good week fish every day lots of 15 to 25 lb fish but the big one were 31,35,36,38 40,42,42,54,60,and my daughters biggest a 74 lb fish.Fished the wounded warrior project with a warrior named Jason Saturday no big fish but we did get 7 fish 14 lbs a under.I would post some pitures but I don't know how to get them on this site.

15. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Jerry....sounds like you had an outstanding trip....congratulations to you and your daughter. Well if I caught a 74 lber I think my head may be swelled just a little....nice.

Just wondering where you stayed during your stay. I plan to make some extened trips to the James and always concerned about the boat and contents.

Here is the tutorial from the BOC Library with step by step instructions on posting your pics...it requires Adobe Acrobat reader which come on many computers. If its not in yours you can go to the Adobe website and download it free.:wink:

http://catfishing.info/mod/att.pdf

Jerry

16. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Jerry...how did you make out with the gill net??

Thanks,
    Jerry

17. Kev-Man

Kev-Man Guest

Man, I need to get back on the James. I always have a good fishing trip there, I just don't make it much anymore lately. The James does have some good ole cats in though if you know where to look:roll_eyes:... Keep us posted on all the good fishin'...
    Have a good one...

18. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I stayed at the days inn in chester on route 10 not a bad hotel 58 bucks a night place to park boat by office well lit I do take my poles in the room just in case and have a cover for my boat.Put the gill net out only twice and got striper ,cats and shad but they can be a pain to get out of the net.Used my throw net mainly and got bait by the bridge at jordons point.Pulled in two gar around 14lbs a peice one day.Thanks for the information on pitures I will try to post some.

19. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the info Jerry......BTW I really like that name for some reason..lol.. I'm pretty good with a cast net ...never tried the gill net. Yep I've caught a gar before, several large carp and even a snapping turtle.....that was none to happy.

I'll be on the James the 23rd but will be going out with a guide and staying at the Comfort Inn on route 10 the 22nd. Hoping for a good trip. Will post our results the 24th.

Jerry

20. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Jerry,
    We will be down on the 21st staying at the Comfort Inn,right as you get off 95 onto rt.10.We will be staying until Friday evening. And fishing Thur and Friday..Wil be on my Alumacraft boat.

We caught a bluecat in my gill net last time and I had to cut the net to get him out.He was about 3 lbs.

If you don't mind my asking,Who will be your guide??

mikeb