GoLight ( Go Light ) remote spotlights, anyone use them?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Big Dav, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I was thinking about buying a go light 2020 for my Lowe. I don't ever run using a spot light or any light other than the navigation lights for that matter. I do use a spot to locate landmarks from time to time and if I need to find something like a throw cushion that has blown out of the boat.:angry::sad2::smile2: Been there a time or two. Most of the time it just takes to long to get out the spot light, plug it in and re gain your bearings to recover anything that blows out of the boat. Sometimes I like to look around on the banks at night and see what critters are making all the racket on the shore or woods.:big_smile::crazy::eek:oooh: Sometimes that is not a good idea. The guy taking a crap on the bank doesn't appreciate all the attention. :smile2: (Sorry dude, who ever you are).:baffle::embarassed:
    Just wondering if anyone has one of the remote spotlights and what you thing about them? I have my RAM spotlight on my Tracker and it is OK but I would like to have one mounted on the bow and be able to control it from the console. I just think that would work pretty well.
    Any thoughts.

2. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    I've used them in the past. Although they are a neat idea, I prefer fixed mount headlights or a removable light bar like you see on some southern mud boats. I've had three Go-Lights in the past and all three had problems stripping the plastic gears.

3. insanedrifter

insanedrifter New Member

State:
    missouri
    I run two kc highlights hid lights on my kenner. They are 600,000 candle power apiece, the run off of two phillips 30,000 volt transformers that are about 4' square by a 1/2' thick. The lights have weatherpack connectors with premade 15'harnesses's. The nice thing about the whole setup is the only draw 3.5 amps. I have had these lights for 3 years and no problems what so ever.

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    We used the Go-Lights on our Hummers and JERRV/Cougars (aka MRAP) in Iraq and they were literally a LIFESAVER. They were very dependable and as long as they didn’t take any frag, they would withstand most “fairly close” IED explosions. Not that that’s gonna happen on a boat, but it speaks for durability. As far as cons go, I had to take one light apart (don’t know how old it was) and repair some wiring within the light housing that had chafed over time and began shorting out (chafing caused by unprotected wires within the housing being rubbed by moving parts). The control switch has a tendency to get gummed up with dirt over time and has to be taken apart to be cleaned, no big deal if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. The plastic tends to get brittle after setting in the sun for months on end, I recommend a cover. Considering that it was Iraq and the lights were never kept covered, I think the plastic handled the sun EXTREMELY well.

I can’t speak for battery drain because they were on a vehicle.

Overall, I would highly recommend a Go-Light, at least from a non-boating perspective.

Edited....our Go-Lights had a quick disconnect base. Never had stripping problems with the gears, but one light was a little "jumpy" but that was a controller issue. We had around 20 lights total on our trucks.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Josh,
    First thanks for the service to our country. Also thanks for the info on the Go-lights. Welcome to the BOC.

Thanks
    David

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have had the stantion mount go light with the built in nav lights for over two years now and its still working good. Very good investment in my opinion, I wouldn't want to use any other kind of light on my boat. I have also used it at night on the ocean with heavy chop 3-4', and duck hunting in heavy chop and its still going strong. If your looking to save money call radioray and they sell refurbished ones for $100.00 with the same 2 year warranty. I am thinking of buying another one for a spare. Good luck

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info. I just bought a GoLight 2020 today with the dash controller. Should be here some time next week. I got a new one off Ebay for less than $145 shipped. The best price I could find until this one was around $165 shipped. I think it will be a good addition to my boat and hopefully wont have any durability issues.:eek:oooh::big_smile:
    I was thinking about the Golight with the nav lights and spot light all in one. I was worried about that much weight only being supported by the post and receptacle. Did not know how well that would hold up. Wish I would have gotten your post before I now. I might would have went that route.:sad2::big_smile:

Thanks
    David

8. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Hey David, I have this light on my boat and it works great. If you use it in really ruff water keep an eye out and make sure it doesn't vibrate loose and fall in the water. I love the light, but it's kinda top-heavy. You got aa great deal, cause i gave 229.00 for mine

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Dave help me again cause I am not the sharpest hook in the box,Go Light wher do you buy them and .????...I am not familiar with them and want to know .

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Wesley,
    I was concerned about them being top heavy. That is why I went with the deck mounted version model #2020, not the nav light combo unit. Sorry for any confusion. :embarassed::big_smile: Thanks for the info.:big_smile:
    Kenny,
    They are a remote controlled spotlight. Some are wireless and some are controls by a console mounted wired remote. Like the one I went with. Figured i did not need to use the light unless I was at the console.:eek:oooh::crazy::smile2:
    I will post a link to the site but it may get removed. If it does I will PM you with a link. I got mine from Ebay. Just search for golight and you should get results. http://www.golight.com/

Thanks
    David

11. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My buddy has a spot light mounted on the front of his boat. It comes in very handy when getting bait to locate and keep up with the gil net and watching for debris.

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    My Golight came in this evening and I have to say that it looks like it is going to be very useful. If it holds up in the durability department I will be happy with my purchase. I just had to get out a battery and try it out. Very good light output and the head moves much faster than I figured it would. The range om motion is also better than expected.:big_smile: I read all the specs on the light before I ordered it but i figure it would be larger. :roll_eyes: I was pleasantly surprised to see it was smaller than i was expecting. I plain on going outside with it shortly and trying to tick off my neighbors wife. LOL (FYI, my brother is my neighbor):wink::smile2::roll_eyes::crazy::smile::smile2:

Thanks
    David

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hey Dave Thanks-I know know what yer talkin bout now.I appreciate it

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Oh let me know how the neighbor thing works out fer you will you? Entertainment is everything right now:big_smile:

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Kenny,
    I will let you know. i have to wait till they turn there lights off and go to bed. That way I get good test results. LOL:smile2::eek:oooh::crazy::roll_eyes::smile2:
    Should be about any time now.

16. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Spot light did its job.:smile2: Very good spot when I took it outside. I had to take a battery and the light out on the deck to look around with the light. The light sure does move quick when you have it focused on something in the distance. I will have to learn control with the little joystick on the control pad.
    All my neighbors know I have a new toy now. LOL Pretty much blinded a could of young does that were in the field behind the house.:eek:oooh: :roll_eyes::smile2: Puts out excellent light up to at least 100 yards. That is how far it is to my brother house. I did not try it much farther.:smile2:

Thanks
    David

17. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    not sure about the joystick controller but mine came with the remote control and it has a plus and minus on it to control the speed of the light.

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Now that would be a very useful feature. I didn't see anything like that on the joy stick. I bet I could add a potentiometer and possible slow it a little. It will probably be fine once i use it a few times and get use to it.:big_smile:
    thanks
    David