Goliath Grouper

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by kenlaw76, Feb 15, 2009.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am going on a trip to Fl. to visit my mom and do some hardcore fishing and diving. One of the spots I like to fish and dive there are alot of Goliath there. I wish I could shoot one with a spear. I have caught them on R&R over #500, and they can pack an a**whoppin'. Any of you guys ever caught one? Here are some pics. The first one is from a dive I was on. I think there are about 11 Goliath Grouper in the pic. The rest are ones that I haave caught in the past.

Attached Files:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I haven't been saltwater fishing since about 1980-1982; don't remember exactly when, but it was before I got colon cancer in 1983. After that, we moved from Florida to Arkansas, where my wife is from. Back in the late 50s or early 60s, I caught a grouper that weighed a little over 80#; don't know if it was a goliath or not, but I don't think it was. Back then, they were called Jewfish....but that's politically incorrect now. Buncha BS, IMO! Anyway, an hour or so after catching that grouper, which didn't give me too much trouble, I hung one that I just couldn't handle. Despite using 100# test line and gear to match, it stripped off line and went into a cave/crevice in the rocks. By giving slack, banging on the butt of the rod, etc., I was able to get it out, and tried pulling it to the top. About 20' up, it turned and stripped line again, going back into the rocks. I got it out a second time, tried to get it up, and again, I couldn't keep it out of the rocks. Before I could get it to come out a third time, the line finally wore in two. Goliath? I don't have any idea. It fought like some kind of big grouper, but I'll never know exactly what it was, or how big it was.

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Have fun Ken. After playing with those big boys, you won't want to come back for the flatheads.:smile2::smile2:

4. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I want to catch a small one. That would be fun. You just never know how big it is till it's to late.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I caught a 5-6lb'er off Australia. A bigger one would have been more fun :smile2:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I caught a small grouper that was colored like those in an inlet river that was about 8 inches long but he went back to the water real quick.

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I was looking around and found some video of tons of Goliath Grouper in Jupiter, Fl. I do alot of diving in that area. The only prob. is that divers don't really fish to much. When they dive they don't have room for fishing gear and the other way around. I would just love to be out here and do a few dives then drop a few baits down. I am going to have to go down and visit my mom when the Goliaths get thick like this and take my fishing gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GhtxcpMJE

8. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Those goliaths are insane! If they have structure close, you will be doomed! lol I'm hoping to find a couple in May when I'm fishing in Cuba. Of course, GITMO rules are the same as Florida now where you can't even take them out of the water, so if things work out I might get a couple of shots at boatside.

9. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    if you wanna see some videos of people fishing for groupers search for "chew on this" on you tube and there will be some good videos.

10. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The first one I ever caught was by a wether bouy offshore of Fl. We were getting bait and saw 2 Cobia and I grabbed a bucktail and hooked up with a #51. I fought him for about 40 min. then went to cathing some more bait. I kept seeing these big shadows and asked my buddy if he had anything to handle a Jewfish. He pulled out a 6/0 Penn on a broom stick and said" will this work". I said lets find out. There was this Cuda that kept steeling our bait and cuttin off our bait rigs. So I put on a peice of bait and caught him. He was about 5'. We cut him in half and I dropped it down on a 12/0 Swordfish hook and within a min. I was hooked up. My buddy told me to hold on and threw the boat in gear to get him away from the bouy chain. After about 2o min I finally got him to the boat.

11. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I watched a show on those grouper breaking the short thick poles in half, and then breaking lines and going into structure. I mean big tackle wasnt even landing these monsters. Very awesome fish. Im heading to Hawaii next month to try for some Marlin even though its not really the season but maybe Ill get lucky.

12. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    That`s pretty much how the charter guys land them from structure; put it in gear and pull them away from their home structure. Seems weird, how a 100 lb line can hold them, but once they turn and find they are not able to get into their hideyholes they wear out in short order. You guys have fun fishing in Cuba and all those cool places.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I was fishing for some snapper in the Mangroves last week in the keys and caught this little guy. It is the smallest Goliath I have ever saw. I got him on a live shrimp.

Attached Files:

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always wanted to tangle with one of them bad boys, just dont think my back could take it now though. I guess I'll have to stick with fresh water Flats and Blues. Some of them can be a real challenge too! Good Luck to ya!:cool2:

15. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I saw a few while I was diving. I almost shot the one. I had a beed on him under a ledge and then I saw the round tail. He was only about #40 and looked like a gag grouper at first.

16. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida

Ken, we started catching those baby Jewfish in the river behind the house, in crab traps. Way up in brackish water. I looked them up on google, they are one grouper species that go up into brackish water as young. I had one of those babies in a tank for awhile. That is illegal, don`t do it. We had some Oscars in there also. Oscars are known as voracious eaters, hitting goldfish etc.. Those baby Jewfish made the Oscars look like Sunday school teachers!! I was amazed at their whomping ability. Anyway, we turned them loose before they got us in trouble, but they were incredible ambush preditors. One thing I learned from that, they will ignore cut bait, but really whale on live minnows.