Golfish or perch which is best live bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Wac M Trac M, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Wac M Trac M

Wac M Trac M New Member

State:
    Texas
    Was curious what you Texans prefer for live bait. Please mention the lake/river or region you fish cause I think it'll be interesting and we all might learn something to see if there is a differance.

Also here in the hill country we have rio perch..it's a kind of cichlid..how do they fare as bait.

Yall think shad is the best live bait anywhere?

So far I've done the best with shad here in the Central Texas hillcountry

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Never heard of a bream that resembles an oscar.. worth a try i guess though! If i was there id probably try a goldfish first then the cichlid. Yes live shad i top notch for giant flats and occasional blues.:wink: :0a26::006:

3. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    very good post but i think you are a little off on your bait choices depending on what you are fishing for flats blues channels etc i would say best live bait would be live carp or bullhead primarily and gills secondary goldfish are only an option when you cant get any of these 3 in my opinion but shad are good as well but they are better cut and i fish the trinity and brazos rivers from wichita falls down to corsicanna

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I say perch they are great baits for flats and blues.I have tried goldfish but didn't do to good with them.I always stic to natruals baits when fishing but something diifrent good work to I think a flat will eat anything thatshe see's.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    Live bluegill are the best bait for Texas cats IMO.
    Goldfish are just about worthless as bait, but fish will eat them when nothing else is available

6. shacknasty

shacknasty New Member

State:
    Texas
    Around Cedar Creek and Ray Hubbard, Bluegills are used primarily for flatheads, they will only eat a live bait. Live shad will catch plenty of Blues and few Channels on these lakes. Never tried gold fish always had luck finding shad with a net.