Golf help.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by onlyone, Apr 20, 2006.

1. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I am just a beginner golfer. Whats a good brand of new clubs (a set) for around $200?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with John. When you first started fishing, did you buy a yacht?? You may find it's not all it's cracked up to be, then your *new* clubs end up in a yard sale. I used to really enjoy golf. Then it got to the point one had to stand in line to get on the course. To me, golf is supposed to be relaxing, but when you have a bunch of pokea$$es in front of you and some fireballs behind you, it ain't much fun...

The light which attracts the moth will also attract the fish, for it is the fish which will ultimately be eaten.Lee Ackrill.

3. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    After 45 years of teaching Golf, I still believe that you should buy the best of any sports equipment that you can afford ... but that doesn't necessarily mean the most popular, nor most expensive.

Dunlop is still making about the best there is for the money ... I say that because I've been in on the design and production of several club lines and they use as good a component as anyone out there and asssemble them with utmost care.

Most of what you see advertised is "sales hype". It's tough to sell a product that, essentially, hasn't changed in design since about 1894. Oh, to be sure, there are new materials and we've improved production consistency immensely, but a club is still just a spring with an off-center mass on one end. Coming up with something different for the new model year can be very tough when the design remains the same, there only four component parts and they don't move.

Dunno if I'm breaking any rules here, but I invite you to my website (www.pogo123.com) where the 21 most popular (not necessaily MY favorites) of my published articles resides. Among them, you'll find a few on equipment that you might find amusing, if not informative ...

Beyond that (and I haven't a clue where you are), check any local pawn shops that may be in your area. They often have excellent deals on really good clubs.

Plus, and I think a good point to keep in mind ... Bobby Jones, arguably the best golfer who ever picked up a club, never had a matched set ... nor a full 14 club set. He'd pick up a club, waggle it a few times and, if it suited him, put it into his bag. A bigger hodge podge you've never seen and he seems to have done alright :)

Good luck and keep it in the short grass.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sorry i can't help you. The only time i'm on the golf course is when i'm sneekin on to fish the ponds:)

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    After the City of Oklahoma City closed a public fishing area because of golfers, I'd trully like to help every golfer. I'd help them carry their clubs to the pawn shop or thrift shop. Seems as though a better class of people golf than the class of people which fish for enjoyment.

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Whats with these drivers nowadays that have heads as big as watermellons? Next thing will prolly be golf balls the size of soccer balls.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    best help i can give is quit now while theres still hope for recovery. lol seriously if you want new clubs start with something with a cavity back . dont try to start with a pro style club . cavity backs are more forgiveing. if you look around and find the kind you like , search some more and you can usually find a knock off brand of the same thing 40% chaper. and remember you drive for show and putt for dough. work on the short game.

8. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have a set of McGregor VIP Tourny Blades that I love. Best set that I have ever hit.

As a beginner I say that you definatly start with a set of cavity back blades. They help with the misses that would be way off with blades. I started with a set of Mitshishiba's (sp) I got my money out of them.

Good luck with a great game. Golf is a game where you have to control your temper and take the good shots with the bad.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Only thing I know about golf is," Keep your balls outa the rough,aim straight for the hole"

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Golf courses and Graveyards are the two biggest wastes of real estate there are, LOL!!!
    This says it all:

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You should be able to get you a couple of Tidewater 30L's on decent "clubs" for that price, that should get you started. :big_smile: :lol:

12. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Man that will detract from your fishing time. I say stop now. lol jk

I just sold my clubs and I can tell you that I see them everywhere for cheap. Ask around, someone always is trading up or quitting. Good luck.

13. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Check ebay. The last few sets of irons that I've bought or sold went through ebay. As for brands, check into Ping irons. The Ping ISIK oversized irons are about as easy to hit as they come. If you can't learn to hit those...... well then I'd say stick with fishing!!! lol

DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy blades. You can't hit 'em and it'll just make you hate golf. Buy a cavity back style of iron, and find a putter that suits you. Practice your short game above all else. If you can chip and putt well, then golf will be a pretty enjoyable game. Who gives a flip if you can drive it far? I can hit a 3-iron as far as most folks can a driver, and sometimes I'll only hit driver 3 or 4 times per 18 holes. The driver is overrated.

PM me and I'll try to help all I can. I've played since I was 6, and my dad was a country club pro. I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know a little bit.

Jerrod

14. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Wilson has some good clubs for that price range.

I am on my 4th set of clubs and i spent around 2,000 on them. I have callaway x-18 irons, callaway 3wood and 5wood, titleist 905t driver, cleveland cg10 sand wedge, and odyssey white hot putter.

They are definately better than something you can get for 200 dollars but for a beginner i wouldnt recommend them.

If you get pretty good with cheap clubs, you will be better once you buy a more expensive set that are more forgiving and give you better distance.

15. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    They are only a waste when you are there.

Why do you even come in here to bash golfing? Have you ever played before? Do you bash it because it takes alot of skill and patience to be good? Something you dont have? HAHA

16. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Good advice BG.

17. LarryS

LarryS New Member

State:
    Clinton,Il
    The problem as i see it is, Golf you just need one ball to play. Just put them sticks down and watch some Nascar, you need 2 balls to play.

18. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Was gone about a month, so, sorry to reply this late ...

Ol Man .. the growth in driver head size (now up to an average of 400CCs) is largely one of those "make it different" advertising ideas that don't really help nor hinder the club's performance.

I don't much like big heads. To me they look blocky and less elegant than the smaller, pear shaped heads from the Toney Penna design (when he was with McGregor). Plus, I figure face wind resistance alone (drag being directly proportional to velocity) has to cost an MPH or two in clubhead speed.

Another factor in this is the popular marketing line of "more forgiving", "game improvement" clubs. I have to admit that to the average 18 handicapper, that big head helps their confidence level so from that aspect, it's a good thing.

But ... they won't give you any more distance than any other club of similar specifications when hit on the sweet spot.

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Pogo what is your take on the Perfect line of clubs. I have the perfect accuracy , it takes the place of the 5 iron, it is shaped like a wood. I absolutly love it. It has really improved my game.

20. I_try

I_try New Member

State:
    Central Arkansas
    When i go golfing i dont even use a whole set, i just use a Driver, 5 iron, pitching wedge and a putter. Somehow it seems to work for me, all the other clubs just get me confused and i like to learn how to utilize those 4 well. I would recommend buying those four first but im no expert, just personal advice.