Golf Course Ponds

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TX Fisherman, Oct 1, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive found somse huge fish in these ponds, usually ill throw a net to see the bait fish, i put one of them on a hook, and then ill cast out with a bobber, and cast another weighted one to the bottom, then ill start bass fishing, seems there always seems to be some monsters in these ponds! am i the only one who fishes golf course ponds?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    They are great places to take the kids (grandkids in my case) to let them catch the zillions of stunted bream that are in most of them. A couple or three hours of that, the kids are happy (but ready to go home), and you have a really good supply of baitfish.

3. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have cought some beasts on golf course ponds. the problem around here is that they dont want ppl to fish them...so me and a couple buddies sneak on to the golf course a couple times a year (after dark) and throw big top water plugs and buzzbaits. its a blast!

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    JD is right. Whether true or not my only concern is the level of pesticides, nitrogen, fungicides, and herbicides that concentrate in these waters by the continual use of them to make a "beautiful" course. Dig in a golf course sometime and tell me how many earthworms you find. Same could be said of farm fields that use the same crap.

5. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    As stated alll the above, we did the same:smile2:. Lotta fun fishing them ponds and some toads in there as well.
    Back when Diaznon was legal we used to get all our worms for river fishing from our local golf course. Spray the worm beds and worms up to 18 inches would come out , big round as your pinky. No kidding. Some oif the best cat bait ever , woudl out fish store bought worms 4 to1.
    Yes sir, seems like golf and fishing are always linked one way or another. Good thread, brought back some funny times on golf courses at night and little flashlights...
    Thanks

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Excellent place to gig frogs as well, only problem is usually you have to sneak in:eek:oooh:.

7. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I live about a mile away from a golf course and they let us fish there on Mondays. This pond has or should I say had a lot of big fish ,cats, bass and crappie in it until people started taking them home. I have transported fish from there (bass) to a pond by my house but just little ones and not very many.

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah i gotta sneak into the ones that wont let you in too, but i think its worth it, the usually only chase me off, if we get caught

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grew up about 5 minutes from the Rose Bowl in California. :wink:

10. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    these places are great and ive caught a six pounder on atascocita shore near lake houston

11. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Becarfull Re Trespassing Laws Down here in East Texas they are kinda stuck up about fishing the ponds in the golf area's

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Had a friend that managed a golf course. That was the best place for nightcrawler hunting I ever saw. Take a flashlight with a red filter on it (military type) and it was common to get 2 or 3 pounds of BIG crawlers in a few hours.