Golf course ponds

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishjohn, Apr 15, 2006.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I was wondering what your opinion is about golf course ponds??? I just talked to my uncle,he works at a golf course and said i could fish in any of the 6 ponds there.I'm not sure if there are any cats in them(i'll find out real soon) but my uncle caught a 3 1/2 lb b***,out of one.I told him that would make good bait.I was curious if anyone has caught any decent catfish out of GC ponds???I will be trying in the next day or so.....

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you can get access to fish them you have a good chance at catching some huge bass. Most of the stocked pods are stocked with bass because that is the "manly" fish to catch...go figure.

Anyway...

One of the fishing shows I shoot for does some instructional segments at a pond on a local golf course. The pro anglers regularly reel in 3-6 pound fish. The biologists say all the nutrients that are dumped into making the fairways green are also good for the small stuff that ultimately feeds the bass.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i guess if i catch some bass,they will make good cut-bait.My uncle is real good friends with the owner,so i have several new fishing spots.I figure i'll try some cut shad and throw it out on the bottom and hope for the best!!! Man,i hope there are some catfish in there!!!!!

4. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I wouldnt eat anything out of golf course ponds. They use a tremendous amount of pesticides on those places and that stuff ends up in the water. I saw a dead goose in a gc pond. There wre huge cats eating on it. Good luck, but bring the camera and leave the stringer at home

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    thanks for the advice,i don't plan on eating them anyway,just take a pic and send them back home.I just hope there are some cats in them.

6. asukevin

asukevin New Member

State:
    Tempe, AZ
    yeah, id definitely give it a shot, you never know what is in there...well, besides bass, because that is standard, and carp. but who knows. ive golfed this one golf course and i saw catfish surfacing and swimming close to shore. then i saw 2 big ones looking like they were gonna spawn. they were channel cat though, but you never know what people will throw in those lakes, so there might be flats in there.

7. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    I have had some excellent luck in both GC ponds and small local city lakes in community parks. I always fish them at night and they will hit anything that I throw in.

Figured it out years ago when living in Denver, took the family to a local park to picnic and threw in a line to let the kids catch some gills. Pond wasn't over 4' deep and all of a sudden something nailed the kids pole and snapped 10lb test. Needless to say I went back that night, ended up catching 6 channels from 3 to 9 lb. During the day those places are like a wading pool for people then at night it was awsome.

Good luck on the course, let us know how you make out.

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Theres nice b**s in the golf course ponds in florida, you just have to be careful not to step on a gator.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bullheads! those ponds are usually ate up with 'em!

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    all the ones i know are stocked w/ sunnies, ba$$ and sometimes carp... rarely do i see catfish and most of the courses won't allow you to fish them (and will run you off if they care enough to). The sunnies are stocked for bug control... ba$$ for sunnie control and carp for weed control (usually grass carp). do they always work? no but there are some nice sized fish in them cause noone fishes for them... i caught about a 4 lb ba$$ while just playing w/ some of the sunnies (12 lb test with a size 8 hook, no rod, just water bottle that i attached the line to) at a golf tournament i was photographing... lol surprised me too but makes me want to go back there and actually take 2 rods... one w/ a sabiki rig for sunnies and the other some soft plastics for the ba$$...

As far as catfish go, i've never really seen them in any i've gone to but it wouldn't surprise me if some were stocked in to them...

11. CraigO

CraigO New Member

State:
    Tolar, TX
    I've done quite a bit of fishin in gc ponds. They're all loaded with bass (the ones I've fished). Since hardly anyone fishes them, the fish can overpopulate in a hurry though. For example, I caught 30-40 bass in a pond in about 2 hours one day and every one of them was practically identical (just about 1 lb; maybe less). If you can find a gc pond that has been stocked with channels, there's likely some big ones in there though... just give it a whirl and you'll find out

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Been told the same by caretakers that were relatives.I still enjoyed good "catch and release" night fishing.peewee-williams

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Let us know how you do if you do fish this gc pond, I'm very curious about catfishing possibilities in them. There's a golf course no more then a mile from my house and theres a small pond on the far corner of it and me and a buddy of mine know of a hole in the fence that we used to go through to cut across the course to this girl's house:rolleyes: . I could imagine running over there sometime late at night with a small amount of tackle and one rod and some bait and seeing what's in there. There's no security checks that I know of, we've never seen any there.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    i'll be going over to the GC ponds tomorrow morning.i found out that one is pretty big and abt 30' deep.hopefully there are some cats in it.i'm gonna take shad,crawlers and a few other things with me.wish me luck!!!!!