Goldsboro Blues

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Cattn-Jeep, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I've been here 2 years now. Grew up in PA fishing mountain streams for brookies and rainbows, then on to Lake Erie for steels and bass. Never really cared for (hated) catfish. Since I've been here I've learned a lot about catfishing and cateating. The Neuse River has a stigma that follows it everywhere I go...mostly due to the '95 fish kill (I think). I've been trying to fish near Goldsboro and have been doing alright in my 30min circle. But I've been having trouble finding new places to fish...too much private property and too many private ponds. Does anyone know-- If the Neuse is actually safe to eat from? What about cats in the LIttle River? Stoney Creek? Falling Creek? Any other places to fish cats within 30min of Goldsboro? Thanks in advance!

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Ivan! I don't have any info about bodies of water in your area, but wanted to say welcome to the Brotherhood of Catfishermen family. We're glad to have you! :big_smile:

3. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC!! You'll love it here and remember our member libary!

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There is a list of fish advisories you can find online.
    Get out on the water. It dont take much of a boat to work the Neuse.

5. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Yeah, I've been looking for one of those "too good to leave" deals on a used jon boat...you know, the ones that go for $200-$400 with trailer & outboard...haven't caught one yet though.

6. Superduty65

Superduty65 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome man, I'm new to this site and Big Cat fishing as well. I have fished the Neuse only for a short time down near New Bern. I never HATED catfish but now that I'm doing it a lot, I don't think I gave it all the credit it deserves. These cat fishermen are every bit as dedicated and fanatic as I was growing up fishing for Salmon and Steelhead on the west coast. Great group of people with terriffic advice. I'm sure a nice jon boat will find it's way into your lap soon.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC this site is full of good info and great people.

8. Fishengineer

Fishengineer New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Cattn-Jeep try going to Kinston's Neuse-Way park and catching some channel cats in the back pond. This is a state setup program with TERRIFIC eating channel cats! It is stocked by the state every couple months and it currently has a fish feeder out from the dock. Great place to try out your luck on the small (1-5lb) great eating channel's. I took my wife's cousin and he caught 3 and I caught 1 the other morning. Fun fishing.... Fishengineer

9. crankbait77

crankbait77 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC. For eating any of the cats from the Nuese a lot of people will claim that they eat all that they catch, but no one really knows what levels of mercury are in the fish. I personally do not eat cats from the river except on the rare occasion that I mortally injure one when caught. Good luck finding the food that you seek, and when you decide that you want to have your future jon boat drug up and down the river by some of the finned submarines around here let us know.

10. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    Mercury content is an issue in every river in eastern NC and has been for years, Also many offshore saltwater fish are high in mercury. The trick is to eat the younger fish that haven't had time for it to accumulate in their bodies. Fish kills are common in Eastern NC ( weve just had 2 this week one on the Neuse and one on the Pamlico) Hot water ( 87-90 right now) and nutrients promoting algea blooms suck the oxygen out of the water and fish die.
    I keep a few fish under 10lbs to eat. Flatheads prefer their meals alive so they eat less crap off the bottom so I would think they are a bit safer then blues, bulls that will eat anything rotting and even sift through the waste discharge from sewage plants...
    I prefer Crappie, Bream for freshwater meat anyway, so the slabs hit the grease and the little ones hit a hook for big cats!!

11. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    GOOD NEWS!!! I just got my first boat...I picked it up from a local guy for $1000 (too much?) I don't really know anything about motor driven boats. :eek:oooh: So this is going to be an adventure of some sort. I took these pictures just a few minutes ago after I finished vacuuming the boat out, rerouting some wires, got a good start on rewiring the trailer, and put a jack-wheel on the tongue. Tomorrow I'm fabbing a switch/fuse panel for accessories and I'll probably put the motor down into a bucket of water and see how it runs, which will be followed by the "If I put water in the boat, will it leak out?" test. Then maybe I'll try to run it in the water. Phew, boats are a lot of work!

The boat is a 15' 1977? Starcraft something...used to be sweet motor boat...but sometime during its life it was transformed into a gutted fishing boat...now it's my turn to play. :wink:

Attached Files:

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    A couple of my neighbors and I fished there a bunch last summer and averaged 8-15 fish every time we went and kept 3 or 4 to fry up next day. I took my wife out there once this summer and also a friend that was visiting another time. Didn't catch anything at all- both times! I have no idea what happed to the fish, where did they go? :crazy: