Goldfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KSCats, Jun 16, 2008.

1. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    Anyone use goldfish for bait? I haven't even been able to catch bluegill/sunfish lately so I picked up a couple big goldfish from the local bait shop. I put one on live and cut one in half. Head on one pole tail on another. I caught...

Nothing!

2. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Goldfish is a good bait...or so i hear...:embarrassed_2:. the place your fishing is more important then bait... you could have the best bait in the world and not catch any fish :wink:. Could you tell us what kind of fish your targeting?

3. bigbengal

bigbengal New Member

State:
    WV
    I used to use them on the Ohio river and had good success. I never used one as cut bait but they are hard to kill and will live on the hook all night long if you don't get any bites. I wish I could get some around here.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Goldfish is an excellent bait. Channels,flats, and blues will gobble them up. Trouble is , its hard to find places that sell big ones. Most places that sell them only have the 2 or 3 inchers. If you can get some good 5-12 inchers , then your in business. Also, where were you fishing ? Like the above poster said, you just might not have been at a good spot, or a good lake for that matter. :big_smile:

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    they are a great bait, but bait is only half the solution to catch a fish the tother half is LOCATION!!! find you the biggest, snaggiest looking logjam in the area you fish and hook on a live golfish, the biggest one you got and anchor that pole down. sometime during the night a big ol flattie oughta come out of that logjam and see that huge goldfish and think "hmm what a meal" and then your gonna have ya a heck of a fight. but if you aint got the right tackle your gonna have a heckuva time getting him in. but like everyone has said they make a great bait, and in my opinion they are too expensive to use as cutbait, but you need to have a good good location in order to catch fish. :0a26:good luck to you in your fishing adventures and may you catch a bigun.

6. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I've been fishing at Lyon State Fishing Lake. From what I have read recently it looks like it is stocked with channel cats, bass and crappie. No flatheads. They have built up some rock pier type structures around the lake for fishing from. I go out to the end and toss a hook out as far as I can then another not as far and a third close to the bank and wait to see where they might bite. I try to get out on one of the piers close to the feeders too. I don't know if the channels hang out by the feeders or not but I'd think they wouldn't be too far.

7. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I guess I'm pretty lucky. The one bait store in town sells 6-8 inch for I think about $1 each. Don't remember for sure but they didn't seem too high. I might think different if I was baiting a trotline with them though. lol

They carry shad sides and guts too but are usually sold out of those.

8. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    I think I've cured my tackle problems. I replaced the junk 12lb line I had with 25lb big game line. I like it. I had some cheap zebco 30lb line but it was so thick I couldn't hardly tie a not in it. I might use it on the weedeater, lol!

I also picked up a new rod. 9' MH Ol' Mr. Whiskers Catfish System, it was cheap. Never heard of it but it seems ok so far. I got a zebco rhino rsp6 reel to go with it. It's a lot bigger than my other reels.

http://www.rhinofishing.com/RSP.html

This setup is much better/stronger than the $20 shakespeare tigers I have. Still pretty cheap too.

The one fish I caught this weekend was on this new pole. He was 3-4 pounds and real easy to pull in on the new rod. It was nice to catch somthing the first night I used the new pole.:smile2:

9. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    We can't use them leagally here in NY. In fact with the different illnesses with the fish we can use bait we catch in one body of water and bring it to another to use. It must be used where it is caught. To bring baitfish to a lake it has to be purchased from a dealer and be certified healthy. We have to have the receipt on us and it must have a current health certified stamp on the back.

Richard

10. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo

wow thats crazy .....

11. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo
    how do you get the goldfish to stay on the hook? i'v never tryed it but willing to learn ....how it's done . :big_smile:

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Hook it through the back(below dorsal fin and above the backbone) or lips just like a bluegill or any other live bait.

Goldfish are great bait!!! I caught my PB Flathead 33 1/2 lbs on about a 4" goldfish that had been out for approx. 3-4 hours. The Flatties love them and they stay alive for a very long time!!! I've also caught several in the 20's and teens with them. Where I'm at, my buddy gets them real cheap!!!:wink::big_smile:

13. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo
    thanks so much for the info ... i think iam try it next time i go ......

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You're very welcome!!! Best of luck to you Bro!!!:wink::cool2:

15. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    ive caught alot of flats on goldfish. my PB 37 lb. flat (in avatar) was on goldfish. i dont ue em so much anymore cuz $12-$13 a doz. vs. $2 for worms and a little time wasn't a hard choice to make. i catch my own live bait close to home now to save money. plus i get my 3 y/o to help me and he loves catchin them hand size gills on an ultra light pole. i hook live bait through the back or an inch or two from the end of the tail (not the tail fin). but goldfish will work if you find the fish. good luck

16. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    used to run trotlines at Stockton lake over in mo. Baited up with 1/2 goldfish 1/2 shad on a 25 hook trotline. I caught 5 walleyes up to 6 lbs on the goldfish only one wasn't a keeper {over 18"}. Came back next day witha bunch of goldfish tried to catch em on a rod and reel ...nothing happened no bites. The old men at the bait shop thought I was pulling their leg about the trotline and the goldfish.They said I didn't want to say where or how I really caught them.

17. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    If you live close to KC go to Cabella's to get goldfish. $5.50 a dozen. Crazy I know, figured they would rip you off big time but was shocked how cheap they were. About half were 2-3" and the others were 4-6"
    Theres also a bait store in KC called Minnesota Bait company (close to downtown) or somethin like that that sell monster goldfish for a decent price

18. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo

i think i know where u are talking about .... thanks for the info :wink:

19. lostviet

lostviet New Member

State:
    kansas city mo
    :eek:oooh:eek:kie i think i got the goldfish part down now what about the weight
    what size ? an dose it go at the bottem of the line or befor the hook?