Goldfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Trahviiz, May 27, 2008.

1. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    I wanted to get everyones opinion of using goldfish on the White River. Anyone ever use them there? And if so, how are your results?

2. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have also heard several people using goldfish and would like to know peoples opinion on this as well.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've used them occasionally in the White in the Bripple area and north of there. I've caught some nice 8-12lb channels on them, never caught any flats using them in the White River though. The snapping turtles seem to have a taste for them too. :cool2:

I have caught flatheads using goldfish in other places though. They're worth a try.

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Big goldfish are hard to come by, and when I do I feel like they are expen$ive. Without making a midnight raid on someone's koi pond, where do you get them?

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    They are really cheap at pet stores haha. But usually they don't have many big ones.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    raise them! put some in a farm pond and within a couple years you will be able to cast net them out of it, that's what we do.

7. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had really good luck with goldfish. They are very hardy, I can remember fishing the Wabash last year the water was almost boiling it was so warm. I lost a lot of pan-fish that I was using for bait, but the goldfish remained very active. I have caught several flats with goldfish. If you can find them give them a try.

8. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana

Two places I have found them are Kings Bait And Tackle on old SR67 in Mooresville and also Ed's Trading Post Bait Shop in Princes Lakes in Nineveh. But they are kinda expensive.

9. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    They sell 'em up at Westside bait shop. Fairly large too. I've only used them once, without any bites I might add, but I found that they stay very lively for quite a long time.

10. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That's it, I'm going to put on my camo, black face paint, and 'tacticle' landing net and raid the neighborhood koi ponds!

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL...sounds like a plan Ben! Let us know how it turns out!

12. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Try using a non invasive species. Target whats native for bait. Morse Res. is becoming invaded with Golden Shiners most likely introduced by bass fisherman emptying the bucket at the end of the day. VHS is spreading in the great lakes from minnows. Asian Carp are getting out of control. Goldfish will take over your pond and eventually get out. I for one don't want to contribute to another disaster or go to jail in my good camo's LOL